Braid v mono

Colin Ashment

Reaction score
I use 2 Shimano 6000 GTE's for carp & barbel fishing spooled up with 10 lb mono.

The carp lake I usually fish is fairly weed free (only a few lily padded areas) with carp upto 11 lb & the river I fish is a typical city river big rocks, rocky bottoms with the odd shopping trolley or bike frame with barbel upto 12 lb.

I am thinking of trying braid on my spare spools. What braid would you recommend (not too expensive).

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using braid over mono?

I find mono over 8lb tends to kink & twist after a relatively short period of use, any suggestions to prevent this.

R

Richard Bytheway

to prevent twisting, have you tried the gardiner spin doctor leads?
i got some good braid from tackle bargains see the list on the left. good stuff. nice and supple.

G

Glen Howell

I have been using Nash Bullet Braid 20lb since the beginning of last season. I use it because it is a sinking braid and is inexpensive compared to most other brands.

Most of my carping is done in the margins, and the braid sticks to the bottom and does not spook the fish when fishing slack lines.

If you have never used braid before then remember to take it easy on the fish. there is no stretch so you feel everything!
make sure the clutch is not set too tight or you can pull the hook out.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I use mono as a main line with braid as a shockleader. In my opinion unless you're fishing snags where you need to be locked up and require little give, you'll find the mono much more forgiving. I used braid for a season and didn't really get on with it. I like a mixture of the both, one for stretch and the other for strength and scurity at range. Although I must confess the pinging of the braid across the fish when it turns really can give you a buzz!

D

Dave Rothery

use tubing.
I use braid as a main line with mono as a shockleader. In my opinion when you're fishing snags where you need to be locked up and require little give, you'll find the mono much too forgiving. I used braid for a season and loved it. I like a mixture of the both, one for stretch and the other for strength and security at range. Although I must confess the pinging of the braid across the fish when it turns really can give you a buzz!

M

Mike Lee

Always use tubing!

I use braid as a main line and as a shockleader. In my opinion when you're fishing snags where you need to be locked up and require little give, you'll find the mono much too forgiving. I've used braid for two seasons and love it. I like the strength and security at range. Although I must confess the pinging of the braid across the fish when it turns really can give you a buzz.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Dear oh dear, Mike's being a pleb again!

W

I always use tubing!

I use braid as a main line and as a shockleader. In my opinion when you're fishing snags where you need to be locked up and require little give, you'll find the mono much too forgiving. I've used braid for two seasons and love it. I like the strength and security at range. Although I must confess the pinging of the braid across the fish when it turns really can give you a buzz.

R

Ron Clay

The best way to scramble eggs, especially when you are bivvied up, is to put a pile of chopped chives and parsley with them, together with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Try it, they are great.

W

I like em on toast.

Cakey can get them cheap, yeah, from Tesco, the VALUE counter, goes really well wiv his crap cheap nasty firkin horrible bacon!