One-off 'Specials'

• Thread starter Richard Drayson
  • Start date
R

Richard Drayson

Fellas,

I've just bought a second-hand lathe for my very modest workshop. I have an engineering background but must admit that I've not done any metal turning since I left school in 1975.
I currently making up a bankstick to camera adaptor in brass so that I can take photo's of myself when needed.

If anyone has anything they would like made that isn't readily available over the counter I'd be willing to look at the possibility of making the part.

Only fishing related items at the moment though. It'll be good practice for me.

J

john conway

Richard, if you make a bank stick/camera adaptor I'll buy one off you. I have a small tripod I used to take caving, it fits in an ammo box but even thats too heavy for roaming, it weighs as much as two rods.

D

Dave Slater

Richard,
How about a bank stick that you can push in at an angle of say 30 degrees but with the threaded hole for screwing the rod-rest head in sitting at 90 degrees so thet the rod rest head can stand at 90 degrees whilst keeping the rod down low. I have seen those multi adaptor match heads used in this way but I don't like the idea of the head being able to swivel. Something more rigid would be better. Something like a Eustace Gold Label 'V' could be screwed into the thread. Alternatively you could build in a metal 'V' as part of the bankstick and make an all-in-one rest. I have an idea it could be good for chubbing. If you get time try making yourself one and let us know if it is any good. Just an idea.

C

Chris Bishop

I'd like a single rod rest that'll support a rod so I don't have to carry two banksticks for each rod when I'm on a wander.

I wonder about something like a trolling rest for boat fishing, thet screws into a bankstick.

R

Richard Drayson

Chris, I was really only thinking of things that I could turn out using the lathe. Intersesting idea though.

John, I can make a camera adaptor up for you. At this stage it will just be a straight adaptor, no swivel action or anything fancy. I'll let you know when it's finished. (Give me a week or so).

Dave, I think I understand what you want but if you could email a simple drawing for me with a rough idea of dimensions I'd certainly have a look at it.

daren heslop

Reaction score
Richard i went in to the local tackle shop again today and they still have no camera adaptors in.If u can make em ill buy one.If u can make one that swivels even better.

P

peter webber

Chris

I've seen the sort of thing you are talking about in the states.

they use them a lot but then there rods are much shorter then ours. Not too sure if it would hold a Uk style rod or not but they looked ok.

Maybe it would be worth you doing a search of a few usa tackle sites like "Bass Pro" or "Cabela's"

C

Chris Bishop

I know what I want, something that'll just hold a rod when I'm wandering around with a couple of them.

You can get bankstick/camera adaptors fairl cheap, fine for supporting a compact but unstable with anything heavier.

G

Gerry Castles

The problem with bankstick adaptors is the obvious one. you can only use them on a bankstick. Take a look at
http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Mini-clamp.jpg
This is what I use on my boat. It's a clamp with multi directional swivels. It's a very solid, light and relatively inexpensive device that will QUICKLY grip a gunwhale, rowlock, fence, tree branch, the edge of a table if at home, more or less anything including a rod rest. I'm so pleased with it I might do an FM review sometime. It cost about ?24 and having shop tested three others up to ?74 it was definitely a case of the cheapest being the best. Oh and Hagues make this device for camcorders so with a smaller 35mm its' very solid and stable.