Seymo Baitdroppers

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought the large and medium models for the opening week of the season and used them on my first 4 trips.

Fishing deep and fast flowing rivers like the Avon I have always preferred to use a baitdropper to "kick start" my swim and for regular top-ups during the session.

The only problem I found on the first trip was that, when full, they do weigh an awful lot.
In fact a little too much for the rods I was using to trot caster after Chub.
Not a real problem though as the next day I used the dropper on a Carp rod of 21/2lb t/c and they performed admirably.

A word of warning though, the large model does take a lot of bait, so take plenty and be prepared.

Seymo do seem to design some very good items and at reasonable prices.

D

Dave Dowson

Peter,
Any concerns about it not opening and emptying. Does it dump its load first time and every time. the ones I have at present do not always do this.
Dave

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave,

On opening the packaging it was evident that there was a small amount of paint build-up around the hinge on both models. No big problem as a few moments "easing" back and forth rectified the problem.

I used them both extensively on those trips and not once did the dropper come back with any bait left inside.

One thing I forgot to mention though, and that is that the "eye" at the top of both models had no silicone rubber to ensure that the dropper stayed attached to the hook. Although, after the first use I then tied these directly to a stronger rod anyway.

Hope this helps.

D

Dave Dowson

Cheers
Pete,
Just purchased the large dropper.
Looks the buisness.
Out on the Dove at the weekend so will use it then
Thanks again
Dave

M

Matthew Nightingale

I have a Fox Barbel Plus which is rated at 1 3/4 lbs. I haven't used a bait dropper before because I wasn't sure about stressing or breaking a rod. What's the score?

TIA

Matthew

D

Dave Slater

Matthew,
I wouldn't like to risk a good rod by using a heavy baitdropper. I bought a really cheap 2.75lb t.c. pike rod and use it exclusively for baitdroppers. You should be able to pick something suitable up very cheap.