Help

D

Darren Russell

I am a begginer to fishing alltogether and have tried game,see and course adleast once. Were I live in n.wales i visited three small farm lakes called the fishing pool's. Since I am a begginer i blanked as i always do. What rigs do you recomend to someone who does not realy enjoy plumming ect. I am curantly using my match rod even though i know this to be unwise. I would probably feel more conferdant legering or free lining but i dont no if i can register bights on my match rod?

A

andrew jackson

Hi Darren I think the best advice I can give you is to just keep it simple for the time being. Not wanting to sound rude but to be honest I suspect your biggest problem is probably one of attitude.
With all branches of angling like many sports and pastimes you improve by working at it. Finding out what depths and features you have out in front of you by plumbing may be a bit of a pain, but it is part and parcel of sucessful angling.
Carp, bream, tench, gudgeon, and barbel for example are all fish that generaly feed on the bottom of lakes and rivers. If you dont know what depth of water you are fishing in how can you be sure you are fishing on the bottom?
I would use your current tackle for what it was designed and float fish for those carp. Plumb your depth and find the correct depth to present your bait on the bottom, then add 3-4 inches. Place your last shot that distance form your hook so you have 3-4 inches of line lying on the bottom, space the rest of your shot neatly and evenly down the remainder of the line. This is a common used rig to catch bottom feeding fish and is usually refered to as laying on.
Most important of all keep quiet and be patient.

alan strickland

Reaction score
this time of year best/most exciting way of flshing for carp isf loating baits,all you need is a bubble float or controller. to ledger with your float rod just take off the float and bunch your shot 6 inch from hook,for bites you can use the sea fishing beachcaster method (rod tip up in air)and watch your tip,if you dont want to plummet try asking for a small polaris float at the tackle shop (they have a locking system that set the depth by itself).
Keep an eye out for 2nd hand gear in local paper, tackle shop and on this site,as you get better you will need extra gear and there`s nothing wrong with 2nd hand (tech on rod`s,reels and alarms is moving at a fast pace and there`s nowt like a carp for turning you into a tackle tart so there loads of good 2nd hand gear out there)

D

Darren Russell

Hia thanks guys i will probably be going fishing on saturday i will take your ideas in to cosideration. Have you got any more info on the polaris float?
Do you think my match rod will be able to handle 1 or 2 small carp before i buy a carp rod.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Hi Darren, firstly you?re float rod will deal with any carp you may hook, its whether your terminal tackle and line will handle the pace. I would strongly urge you to take not of Andrews point above. There is no short cut I?m afraid. It may seem harsh but it?s like everything in life unfortunately, you only get out ? what you put in. Not agreeing with plumbing your depth will not be the best way to kick off your fishing my friend.

If you cannot put together a mental picture of what?s happening below the water, then you may as well give up now. AS I say I don?t mean to be harsh but you?ve got to start reading the waters you fish both from above the surface and below. Get that right and you?ll know where to fish and how t catch them on an ongoing basis.

N

nick austin

stuart is dead right....watercraft is worth a mint...iv'e only been carp fishing for about 4 years, and so far this year i'm having a blinder..thats down to these reasons....I'm just getting better at reading the water, working out whats going on, watching the weather,doing things the way people like stuart suggest....they know what they are talking about!...i rarely fish a float, but when i do i always plum!

D

Darren Russell

Hello,
I am visiting a stillwater on sunday and i am hoping for a carp or two.(Hoping meaning im going to blank.) I have now decided to plumb the depth and fish a lobworm or a couple of maggots. Im not expecting anything big what advice would you give me to help me catch my (first) non starved fish.
see you thanks for your help.

D

Darren Russell

Hia I went fishing as it happens i did blank but at one point in my fishing trip my float started to did but came back up and started wobling for about 5 mins. Were the carp causing the float to did or what. My cast inproved i am happy to say.

S

Stu Black

Darren, i know the pools you're fishing... the bottom lake holds carp up to 20lb. The middle lake up to about 16lb not sure about the top pool. I've offered to take you for a days fishing in the past. Offer still stands if you want? I live in llangollen.

A

andrew jackson

Darren I strongly suggest you take up Stuarts offer. A few hours with an experienced angler is worth months perhaps years of just reading the theory and then trying to put it into practice.
You may have some fundimental problems that may need addresing. These can sometimes be missed on a forum format like this, because it is assumed that the basics are covered and as such are taken for granted.

D

Darren Russell

Hia,
Thanks for the offer but i have been offered to be taken fishing by a friends uncle who will take me and his friend fishing for carp soon. He has allready taken us fly fishing and he solved all my problems in 4 hours.Thanks for your help.
see you round stu and andrew.
Tight lines