Tips for fishing Brixham

D

david parker

I'm spending a week in Brixham in August and I'm taking a Fox four-piece spinning rod and some bass lures...but beyond that I'm not sure what I'll be doing next because I'm a freshwater angler to be honest....however, has anyone got any tips about where to fish in that area, proven fish catching lures? Or other approaches? Spun sandeels? What should I try? Or anything else you think might work - and not just for bass...I just fancy catching a few fish and maybe getting converted to this sea fishing lark!

C

Chris Bishop

Used to be lots of fish around the harbour and the breakwater. You used to see people fly fishing for bass and mullet when I lived down there.

Plenty of mackerel sometimes off the Redgate (?) beach and sewage outfall (Hope's Nose) at Torquay and there's a wicked pub down there.

I used to catch bass at teignmouth, fishing off the end of the sand spit. Live sandeel was number one bait, lob it right into the river mouth as the tide drops and bounce it along using four or five oz of lead.

Plenty used to get caught around the moored boats on the Teign side of the spit esp first thing/last light when the tide was in. There's also garfish in there which are well spectacular when you hook one.

Brixham's a super place. If you want to do something different head for Totnes and have a look at the mullet in the river dart around Steamer Quay - mega fish, I never managed to catch one.

D

david parker

thanks Chris. already wanted to head to totnes for the bookshops so will look out for the mullet too. I was thinking of spinning for some bass and maybe using some bread for mullet if i spot some in the harbour or around the breakwater. but you've given me more than that to think about. I may now risk alienating the wife and kids by trying out all that you've suggested!

C

Chris Bishop

Totnes is a great place. The cheese shop down the bottom of the hill near the river's pretty amazing (if you're into cheese...).

D

david parker

strangely enough I am a cheese (and wine) fan so I'll visit the shop you've mentioned chris, thanks