Big Catfish

R

Ron Clay

Very interesting article. I can vouch for the fact that you do need to be very fit to tackle these brutes. I once hooked a Vundu in the Zambezi whuich I played for 3 hours and never made the least impression on it.

In the end I had to give up.

I have been told that Zambezi Vundu can reach weights of 1000 lbs.

How big can the Wels catfish reach?

M

Martin Scullion

I'm sure I've read of commercial captures up to 500lbs, imagine hooking up to that it must be like trying to play a train !!

JOHN LEE 4

Reaction score
hi,about you are right about the size of commercial captures, I have heard around the black sea in russia that cats are caught around this weight and bigger regularly.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Evening all, with regards to the ones in Russia I heard that some of the engineers who work on the dams are scared to go down because of the catfish.
Supposedly they are big enough to swallow a man whole, anyway apperently some innist they go down in shark cages instead of standard scuba gear.
Obviously don't know if it's true.

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

In Russia the Volga Delta is where the largest cats are found. Regularly Russian anglers take them to 250 lb on rod and line. I saw a report of commercial longliners taken them to 700lbs.

I have a video on Russian wildlife and it shows Cats waiting like crocodiles under nesting trees of stalks and spoonbills wait for the chicks to fall in the water.
In the commentary the narrator says the fish (in crystal clear water) are over 4 metres long.

That?s one hell of a huge big fish!!!!!