Bulls!!!

T

Tony Carter

After a very enjoyable days fishing on Sunday I reached the stile that I needed to cross to get back to the car. A herd of about 20 young bulls were loitering in front of the stile trying to copulate with each other and doing other stuff young bulls do! I tried shouting, stamping my feet and even wacking one or two with my landing net handle but could't get them to move. Some of these bulls had horns and looked a bit dangerous - so faced with either a 2 mile round trip - or risk trying to walk through them - I wimped out and took the long walk. Does anyone have any advice on this sort of thing - should I just have taken a chance or what?? any bull stories??

J

Jason Lennon

show no fear - thats the important bit. I have no fear of livestock as I went to a school that had a farm with bulls, cows, sheep, pigs etc.
Also everytime I go fishing on my local river, I have to walk through a bullock filled field, so I know what you are talking about - you should see them! horns as long as your arm!!
The trick is to make yourself look scary to them, without startling them into charging you.
All I do is this: when you are walking towards them, make sure they can hear you coming - I slap my hand loudly on my leg. anything that gets them looking at you will do.
All I do after that is when I approach them I make myself look as big as possible by waving my arms about, and CONFIDENTLY shout at them to f*** off outta my way!
Remember, they are large animals, but they are dumb as ****! all they operate on is instinct.
Oh yeah - nearly forgot one final point.
Dont wear red!!

J

Jason Lennon

Also remember this:
Those bulls you encountered were presumably in a farmers field.
Why is this an important fact? Because any animal that is in a farmers field is used to humans to a certain degree.

Although they have little intelligence, they know farmer in field = dinnertime!
which is a lot better than a wild bull which would think human in field = threat.

They are livestock, not wild so dont fear them - the farmer doesnt, and he gets on ok!!

T

Tony Carter

Sounds easier said than done! - I have to admit I'm not really use to bulls or cattle - cattle i'm not worried about but bull are a different story!

R

Ron Clay

I once had some of the paint licked off a hire car in 1978 by bullocks.

This took place at **** Walker's fishing hut on the Upper Ouse near Thornton Bridge.

And the farmer warned me about the darned things.

The best way to deal with young bullocks is to take a sword or Zulu spear and charge at them screaming at the top of your voice. They will usually run like hell and never come near you again. The reason for the spear, as self protection if one of them decides to be a bit ornery.

T

Tony Carter

so your suggesting i park a car in one corner of the field and while the bulls lick the paint off make a dash for it! - sounds like a lot of hassle - or alternativley spear them !!

D

darryl rogers

we have the same problem on the dove at scropton ther they see you coming across the field and start towards you i carry abucket that i use for hemp etc and just start banging it as i walk towards them they usely part

J

Jason Lennon

lots of noise, act like a lunatic - always works!! thats wot I was tryin to say!!!

J

John Pleasance

quote "any bull stories??"

Try any carp forum Tony,it's full of them. ;o)

L

Les Clark

Good idea Ron,But more likely to get banged up as a nutter,dont you think?
It`s the way you tell em!

T

Tony Carter

I did think of that after I wrote that line John - although not intentionally!

Colin Brett

Reaction score
I had a similar experience many years ago, wher a herd of bullocks were blocking an exit and wouldn't move . So my mate and I dropped down the bank and found a bridge [of sorts] across the ditch. He went over the plank first and as I was halfway across he got off, the plank twisted to one side and I went straight into the ditch. I put out my arm to try to save myself [as you do] and it dissappeared into a heaving mass of bull shit and piss along with all the other niceties of a Cambridgeshire ditch. I was covered from head to foot in bull shit and to get home had to sit in the back of my estate car while Les drove me back to his place. He then hosed me down as best he could while his wife fell about laughing. On getting home I wasn't allowed into the house until I had stripped off all my shit covered clothes and been hosed down again.
Bullocks! Don't you just love them??

Colin [Bull shitter extraodinaire]

daren heslop

Reaction score
I once baited a swim on the river went for about a hour .Almost as soon as i started fishing a cow fell in did a tour of the swim and got out again.
I was born in a cow field so i should know a bit about them.Where i fish the wharfe at the moment is covered in bullocks, cows and bulls.Bullocks dont bother me and ive spent years chasing bulls that have decided the field down the road containing somone elses cows looks much more appealing.
The ones to watch are the cows .Look for the one in charge.If your nervous walk round them if your not walk straight through with a couldnt care less attitude waving your arms but not franticly.saying "cush" I have no idea why cush thats just what it is.
Just to put u at ease a fair few farmers are killed by thier own heards everyear so they probably wont trample u JUST because your inexperienced.

P

Paul Christie

They are definately dumb ****s. One came bounding down the steep hill on our local lake and mistook the large patch of dwarf pound lilly for part of the field and all 2 tonne of it went into it at 20mph!
Couldn't buy a bite for about 3 hours after that..

S

Stuart Harvey

Last week there was one on opposite bank to me that was sure it was going to have a drink of water despite there being a vertical drop of about 6 foot from the edge of the bank to the water. Next thing I know it just launched itself straight in. Somehow it scrambled back out after sending bow waves up the river.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Stu,
don't forget to wear you're red jacket and jeans next time we go down the river, at least I'll be safe then.

S

Steve King

I used to fish the Lugg quite a lot. The stretch I used to fish had a bull in with the herd of cows at certain times of the year. The bull was not any trouble usually - he had other things on his mind! On one occasion I was roving for chub and just changing swims when I heard the clump of hooves on earth. "Hell they're getting faster!" "Der-domp, der-domp, der-domp" I fled to the nearest stile and flung my rod over butt first, vaulted the stile ripping my trousers in the process. Safely on the other side I turned to face my assailant - it was a cow!! The bull was over the other side of the field!