Targeting Solitary Carp

J

Jason Lennon

I fish a pond where I know there are a couple of decent commons that no-one has caught for a while. and plenty of crucians.
Now I would love to target the two commons, but there are only 4 accessible pegs around the whole pond and theres always people fishing, so whatever peg you find you have to take.
How can I target them from whatever peg I can get to using float tactics(bottom way too snaggy for feeder)?
Also Any advice on going for crucian would be appreciated too.
The only problem is that the pond is overrun by roach - mostly fry, but some bigger ones too.
what would be the best way to attract the Carp & crucians, but not the roach?
It may help you to help me if I give you a quick descript of the pond.
Its lined by trees, bullrushes around 3quarters of shore. lilypad beds(the little ones with pink flowers). bed of pond is black, very silty with loadsa snags & smells horrid. Maybe a bit of a methane problem too - always see gass bubbles rising.

M

Mike Lee

Bit of a difficult one this, Jason.
But I'll try to point you in the right direction...
Taking the description you have given, I would try to catch fish up in the water.
I would mix up a dark groundbait, but mix it very wet. You should have to scoop it up in your fingers to flick it into the water.
I would add flouro pinkies, about half a pint to a 2Kg GB mix and feed every single cast (two finger scoop).
Flick out a light (0.25g) float with the shot evenly spread down the line and watch the float settle very carefully.
If the float doesn't settle properly, the bait has been intercepted on the drop and you need to strike. Sail away bites are self explanatory.
The important thing is to remember to feed every cast.
The great thing about this method is that carp (be they crucian or common) will push other fish out of the feeding area.
You may be pestered by roach at first but persevere and you may be surprised.
BTW, when the bigger fish move in, the bites suddenly stop. I would suggest that you have a set-up with higher breaking strain line and hooklength ready for this very occasion.
Hope this helps mate!

J

Jason Lennon

Cheers Mike,
Just to add to my previous description, It can be floatfished on the bottom, it's just no good for feederfishing, you end up losing your tackle in the middle of the pond. Which is a pity, cos I bet thats where the commons are. I've never seen them patrolling the margins. The only decent fish that patrol the margins are the crucian and a couple of baby sturgeon(5lb or so).
Does this make things any different Mike, or is the method you suggested the best one?
I'm reluctant to fish on the surface, cos I've tried before, & found it a pain in the arse, because there's so many ducks, moorhens & geese there - they all just pile over and nick your floating bait!! little sods that they are!

C

chris day

Mollases is a well known additive that has a strong attraction for common carp. Don't ask me why!Available in any farm supply shop 5litres for about ?4. Or any tackle shop at quite literally ten times the price..........

M

Mike Lee

Hi Jason, this 'on the drop' method will catch you fish from just under the surface to the bottom.
If you set your float depth to the bottom but use a very light float and space small shot or styls down the line, this will allow your bait to fall through the water slowly.
You are trying to attract fish to the dark coloured groundbait cloud and then you want the fish to eat the flourescent pinkies that fall throught the water inside the dark coloured cloud.
I didn't say before but one or two pinkies on a small (20/22) hook are the best hookbait.
Where this method becomes really exciting is when the 'proper' sized carp become interested in the activity and decide to have a look for themselves.
Then you need to have another rod (or rig) set up with stepped up line and hooklength.
I used to find that a bunch of pinkies worked well.
Hope this helps!

D

Dave Rothery

fish a paternostered zig rig over the snags (providing they aren't too severe)...use a "rotten bottom" so the lead doesn't snag. use an old spark plug(wipe off the oil) or a big nut/stone instead of a lead to keep the cost down.
dont believe anyone that they dont come in the edge sometimes, keep trickling bait into a couple of likely spots and see if it goes.