Tope in Aberystwyth

J

Jon Carrington

I will be spending the weekend out of Aberyswtyth this weekend and the main target will be Tope. I haven't fished for them before and was hoping somebody could pass on a bit of advice as to tactic's and tackle. I am planning on using a 30lb class rod coupled to a shimano charter special leverdrag reel with 30lb iornsilk line. The rest of the tackle I need help on.
I have only been boat fishing for the last 12 months so still learn a lot each time I go out.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers Jon

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Jon,
Are you going on a charter or in your own boat?

If you are a Tope virgin might I suggest the charter is the place to start.
Tope may only be a scaled down version of shark, but in a small boat with a novice, OH DEAR!!!
So get some ideas from your charter skipper or experienced Tope Angling friend before venturing into the unknown.
I would add I am more worried about the damage you might do to the tope than to your own well being. However be safe.

Colin

J

Jon Carrington

It is a charter, I am a member of a local sea fishing club( strange seeing I live in the cotswolds!!)and there will be arroud 7 of us on the boat both day's so plenty of advice on hand, Last year they had 45 tope over the 2 days to 38lb smallest was 22lb.
I just wanted to get my kit ready for the weekend and buy any bits I need in advance.
Cheers Jon

J

Jon Carrington

On the point of Damage to the Fish this is last thing I would want to do, This is another reason for asking for advice on rigs and tackle.
Cheers jon

G

Gerry Castles

Hi Jon, keep it simple. When we fished for Solent tope, I generally uptided but the downtiders used the following end rig.
Line goes through a zip slider (any short weight carrying boom will do)then through a bead and then tied off to a strong swivel. The trace tied to that consisted of 7-8 feet of 200lb bs mono tied directly to a 6/0-8/0 hook. Favoured hooks were 6/0 Mustad 79515 or Cox and Rawle 7/0 Extra Uptide. Lead was anything between 4oz and 2lb depending upon tide. Your biggest outlay is lead so ask the skipper in advance what weight you need. Most skippers will have a big bucket of cheapie homemade weights to hand that you can dip into and pay for as you lose.

K

Kieran Hanrahan

Hi Jon

Just to add to Gerry's advice, since tope are no slouchs... when you are using the leads, whatever their construction, consider using a weak link to the lead so that if it gets snagged, you lose the lead and not the fish! I might add that this works downtiding only - weak links are not for casting when you are using big leads!!!

gary ganderton

Reaction score
you sould use a 20 - 30lb rod and a decnt reel loaded with no more than 25-30lb mono or braid.

the trace sould be around 3 - 5 feet of 150-200lb line with a big strong swivle on one end and a 7/0 - 9/0 hook.

when you are fishing for the tope donr strike too early as once i was out there on a boat and i was missing some of the smaller bites but after a while i hooked a huge 27lb blond ray

good luck/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif