Shimano Exage And Catana Mono

T

TERRY PORTER

Having been asked to field test the new line Exage&Catana,I had the occasion to fish my club water prior to the season ending.and with the ice gone from the lake. I set out to fish for the Roach and any bits knowing that some 14lb plus Carp were in the lake.

Line Exage 6lb 0.20mm 18.eyed barbless hook,double red maggot,connected by loop to loop,on a loaded waggler.
The line was brilliant regarding the suppleness and ease it came off the
spool.It sank very quickly and its all around performance was outstanding,on the day I had some quality roach,rudd but pestered by gudgeon and small rudd.but was the bonus on the day was
1 Carp 12lb,4 at7 to 9lb and 6 at4lb to 5lb,so it proved the breaking strain was very good,(But the story had a sting in its tail) on packing up I found the in actual fact I had put on a spool of 4lb line and this doubly gives me reason to say that this lines got the potential to be a top notcher I have every confidence in it and will use it in the future,I hate to think what the higher poundage lines will achieve in the coming season.I intend to try it on a bigger poundage for the bigger Carp.I also intend to use the lower poundage on Trout.Try it and you will not be let down,

M

Malcolm Bason

Sounds pretty good - I'll just use up this bulk spool of Sufix Synergy that I won on here first and then try it!!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha

S

Stewart Bloor

Terry, I've just this week fished with Exage (3lb) for the first time and I do agree with your comments. It seems like a really good line.

T

TERRY PORTER

I would say that this line in the (5lb Exage with 4lb droppers,Or for the more delicate presentation 3lb with 2,5 droppers will be for certain a boon to the Trout Anglers,I must say that all knots are tied with Exage must be WET,The grinner is good or the 3 or 5 turn water knot,but have any of you heard of the NO NAME KNOT,one of Arthur Coves favorites,

M

Malcolm Bason

"but have any of you heard of the NO NAME KNOT" - do please enlighten us? Or me anyhow?

T

TERRY PORTER

Hi Malcolm.
Take the line you intend to use say 5lb,form a loop with the line coming from right to left,this ensures the knot will be satisfactory,now take the mono that is on the right hand side take the mono close to the main loop which in actuall fact makes another loop and thread it through the loop 4 times this will leave you with a loop,now take a lower strain mono and place this into the loop you have made now wet the area and then slowly pull on the left and right mainline this will trap the dropper and when its complete you will hear it crack/pop or words to that effect,what you must always remember is that the dropper you need must face towards the hook/feeder/ledger when trimmed,never to the reel failure to do this will result in a break off for certain.You will find it a bit tricky but only practice will make a perfect knot.Its the only one I use,Have Fun Regards Terry

A

Andy Blessett

I've tried Exage 6lb line and quite honestly, I was not impressed. It "birdsnested" badly and I found it to be very "wirey" to handle, ie. crimped easily. On one trip I caught and landed a 12lb mirror carp with it, but afterwards the line looked like a coiled spring. It literally looked like a ringlet of hair. In my opinion, Ultima Pro Gold does the same job far better, (and stays straight!). I've not tried the other breaking strain Exage lines, perhaps they perform better, but as far as I'm concerned this is not one of Shimano's successes.

D

Dave Johnson

Mmmmmm, my impression of ultima pro gold was not up to much, took it off after three sessions, constant kinking, crap knot strength etc, i now use it for hooklenghts i tie for my fellow match angling father-in-law-very sporting eh?

S

Steve Baker

Going off the subject......But how do you make fishing line??