New To Carp

S

Stephen Mc Cormack

Hi all, I've just heard that the local council have stocked two small ponds/lakes in my local park with small carp to about 5lb, there are only a few to this weight, the bottom of these kakes are fairly weedy and i know there are some perch in there. Have seen people fishing but catching very little, any ideas on how to tackle this, I usually fish for roach, bream whatever passes but as this is so close I wouldn't mind giving it a go.

S

Stephen Mc Cormack

Obviously should read the bottom of these lakes not kakes, sorry about that.

D

Dave Rothery

Fish bream tactics - groundbait/hemp/corn/maggots - and the carp should put in an appearance. no need to get to technical.

J

John McLaren

If there aren't too many ducks try chum mixer on top, catapult freebies out until the carp get interested then once they are used to taking them cast out your baited hook. Great fun with small carp.

Ozz Buchan

Reaction score
Small carp are notoriously ravenous as they pack on weight, any standard float fishing tactics should work, providing you keep bait going in, if you are struggling to get through the roach etc, try a peice of luncheon meat.

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Try using trout pellet paste on the hook and loose feed trout pellets of mixed sizes. There are a couple of small ponds local to me where the carp love this tactic, unfortunatly so do the bream, but that it not always a bad thing!!

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Oh, fish this method on the bottom using waggler tactics!

Reaction score
Ozz is correct about small carp feeding well but if you have a lake that has a large amount of roach then even your meat will be soon eaten by the little devils. In this case I would try red kidney bean or chick peas but all the baits in the above posts will catch.
Try to use a light lead setup if the bottom of the lake is very weedy. You want the bait to sit on top of the weed not to pass through it.
Bread on the surface will work well but any surface fishing requires a soft compound rod as they are small carp and their mouths can easly be damaged , no water layers to cushion the strike.
Have fun.

S

Stephen Mc Cormack

Thanks Lads will bear this in mind when I have a crack at them.