holding bottom

A

alan outen

has any one any idea how to hold bottom when the current reaches speeds of 20-40 knots. ive tried 6 oz gripper weights but with out sucsess and had ghivern up trying. but the other day i say some onecast into the current hold bottom and bring in a 18inch bass and now i want to try again. cheers

graham stretton

Reaction score
hi alan you donot say where you are fishing? Off the top of my head i will say go up to 8oz gripper, have your rod as high as you can. it will still move. or if possible go one hour before high tide. hope this helps

A

alan outen

fishing on the channel between hayling and eastney porstmouth dont think my rod could cope with a 8 oz weight but cheers any way

G

goff dyer

Make your own leads, Aquapedo used to do a mould with holes at the bottom for wires we would mould ours with 3 and 4 inch wires at right angles that would make it 6 amd 8 inch circumference (looks like a big sputnik) hold in any tide.
we used to boat fish Bristol Channel BIG tides on springs caught bass and cod in 3 knot tide anchored.

T

Terry Edmonds

walk way uptide 30yds of where you want to fish and then cast,let a lot of slack line out after you cast.

by the time the lead has settled it will be in front of you, and the bow in the line will cause less resistance in the tide.

or try braid.

Terry

A

alan outen

cheers terry, its roughly what ive been trying, ive was casting against the current and it works sometimesso i try walking up the beach a bit further

D

Dave O'L

What Terry is suggesting is the way to go Alan.
It's uptiding from the beach. The same thing can be done down to coarse fishing except on a smaller scale - a bite being a drop back.

In these cases you want to be just holding bottom so a bite will dislodge the lead - hence a slack liner.

Thing is there will always be times when you will not hold bottom. I remember fishing Shannon estuary when tide turned. 6oz when comming in - when going out a mate tried a 1 1/2 lb boat lead thrown out by hand - it just went horizontal & down the bank.