Best Fishing Hat

R

Ron Clay

I have worn a great many types of fishing hat in my life. From floppy trilbies - Walker style to Aussie bush hats complete with corks.

In very hot climates where a hat is essential, the Bush hat is unbeatable. You can also dunk them in the water and the evaporation helps to keep your head cool.

These days I tend to favour the obiquitous base ball type, especially those with somthing classy written on them like ESP or FISHINGmagic.

What you never do is wear one back to front or with NY on it . You will look like a yobbo.

C

Chris Bishop

I want to get one of them French Foreign Legion hats. A kepi.

You know the bit in Beau Jeste where they know the game's up but he just straightens his hat, stares over the wall of the castle and goes "Allez - on 'y vas" (Go for it - bring it on..)

Can just imagine it for zander fishing. Protects our nect from the harmful rays whilest catching livies, but the peak would act as an eyeshade whilst starliting.

A

Ashe Hurst

Beny hat in winter, DPM bush hat in summer or Waxed cotton bush hat on rainy days.

Best hat for artic conditions is the East German army hat, Rabbit skin. Pull down ear flaps and neck. Never let me down, can get very warm though.

Dont like hoods.

C

Chris Bishop

Don't the bunnies get a bit too friendly for comfort though mate - ever seen the bit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "That Rabbit's Dynamite..."

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an eclectic collection of fishing hats ranging from a floppy brimmed speci' hat to Sensas visors for match fishing.
Barbour make a really good hat with earflaps for the winter that is fully waterproof and very comfortable.

Many years ago I had one of those Japanese Army-type hats that I wore in the summer for fishing.
I remember one occasion when wearing the hat fishing a local canal.
A pretty girl came walking past wearing riding gear, jodpurs etc.
As she passed I enquired;
"where did you loose your horse love?"
to which she replied,
"the same place you lost the Japanese Army my dear!"

I do agree with Ron though about the wearing of baseball caps backwards.
I often wonder if it is the cap, or the head that is on backwards?

J

Jason Lennon

Ron!!! you bad man!
I have an original navy blue NY yankees cap, which I bought from Yankee Stadium, and I take it fishing all the time!
I never have been and never will be a yobbo!
I like it, 'cause it's dark and therefore stops the problem with water reflections under the peak of the cap - which helps when you wear glasses.

P

Paul Mallinson

I wear a knackerd old blue baseball cap that was a freebie from elf, as in the oil company, i wont go fishing without it.

And at weekends i wear a NY cap, backwards!

M

Martin Scullion

in summer A battered black natal sharks baseball cap bought for me by wife on our first trip to south africa

In winter a thermal beanie type hat cos I've got very little hair to keep my head warm !!

W

William Spencer

waxed cotton hat,cowboy style.my two fishing partners reckoned i look a c@*^ in it.when it hammered down with rain the other day i was bone dry with my hat and wax drovers jacket they where wet through.he who laughs last

R

Ron Clay

The thing about good outdoor hats is that they can make you look like a proper nerd at times.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

<a href=http://www.boatshow.com/MARINEMARKET/TILLEY/Tilley.html>good fishing hat</a>

J

john conway

Ok Murray I?ve had a look but where/how do you fit my headlamp?
In the summer when the sun shines I use the FM base ball hat and just reverse it for the headlamp and in the winter it?s got to be a woolly hat that I can pull down way over my ears.