battling monster sturgeon

J

Jason Lennon

What a beauty ey? I would love to catch a sturgeon as big as that!

Sue's first sturgeon is about the same colour & size as the ones in Brinkburn pond, (which I am currently battling to keep angler's fishing rights for).

(see threads entitled"protest against fishing ban", and "rescue my pond!!")

Anyone know how to get a page on fishingmagic for a petition? It would be a great help.

R

Ron Clay

And the caviar is delicious, especially from Beluga on the Caspian Sea.

Personally I have never wanted to catch a sturgeon, of all the fishes in the world. They look too prehistoric somehow. And that strange underslung mouth??

Eaten loads of caviar in my life though.

I

Ian Whittaker

Wonder if they'll re-_stablish themselves in this country Ron? Remembering how the carp got started ! Imagine hooking a decent sized sturgeon off the bank on the tidal trent;)

G

Gareth Lewis

Congratulations on your Sturgeon capture Jason.

Ian, please checkout the www.predator-fishihg.co.uk home page for my Suffolk (feral) Sturgeon fishing adventure of exactly 2 years ago.

R

Ron Clay

There is a picture in the Doncaster Museum of a huge Sturgeon caught on the Don ca 1830.

There is no doubt that sturgeon existed in the Trent 200 years ago. It's something worth investigating.

G

Gareth Lewis

The Kings Lynn Museum has a Stuffed Sturgeon, which is reputed to be the last sturgeon caught in the River Great Ouse. It was caught near to Denver Sluice in around 1904.
I remember viewing the beastie in 1978, and recall that it was about 6 feet long and around 200lbs.
It is my opinion that the EA should be taking steps to reintroduce both the Common Sturgeon and the Burbot. Both of these species are indigenous, albeit extinct in the British river systems.
I think, that that this should have a greater emphasis, than the reintroduction of Salmon.

J

Jason Lennon

Ron catching a sturgeon aint so bad - The one I caught in Brinkburn Pond fought like buggery! it didnt make any runs as such, it just kept going deep, popping up, going deep again - like that. good fun.
They feel wierd when you handle them, almost sandpapery texture to the skin. - watch out for the spines on the dorsal fin too!
I'm proud to say that of all the people who have caught a sturgeon in Brinkburn Pond - I'm the only one who hasnt foulhooked it. My hook was in the textbook corner of the mouth position. Ever watched teletubbies? Well the sturgeons mouth is like the hoover character's hose. it extends out quite far.

I

Ian Whittaker

Nice one Gareth, I remember reading it.Did they all die?

G

Gareth Lewis

Ian,
I saw one more Sturgeon in that weir pool about a week after my little escapade.
I had a go fishing for it, but did not catch it. After that I never saw them again.
I would like to think that they started to work their way down stream to the Wash.
Who knows, they just might run back up stream from the sea in 20 years or so to spawn.
Just think of that, an Amerada of Sturgeon crunching their way through all of those signal crayfish.
Now that would make me a very happy angler.

I

Ian Whittaker

Yes Gareth,
down to the Wash, back up the trent and Ron backwinding like the clappers!!Blood yell it feels like a monster barbel and then the hook pulls!!

tom stone

Reaction score
cheers doug that certainty has wet my apperite for october when i am over with marc for a few days after the sturgeon well lookin forward to it
any more tips on the area ie nice pubs n best beers?