Multipliers for Carp Fishing

M

Mike Lee

If carp fisherman need to cast such long distances with such regularity, surely they would be better off using beachcasting-style multipliers; these reels will cast further than any fixed-spool. Maybe the problem is that multipliers do not fit in with the rod pod bite alarm set-up. Dare to be different?

R

Ron Clay

Mike, I've always thought the same. As an experienced rock, beach and surf angler, there is no doubt that a multiplyer will outcast a fixed spool reel easily.

Problem is, it does take a bit of skill to master, somthing that the average carp angler is not prepared to aquire, The average carp angler today wants instant success and because of this the fixed spool reel is much easier to master.

Also the average carp angler today wants to pose, and a pair or threesome of reels on his pod, upside down, does little for his street cred.

No matter how more efficient they may be.

Reaction score
Your dead right Ron Casting out a spinner on a multi is a lot harder to master than a fixed spool. I can just see it now one cast and a big birds nest because of over run.
Most use three rods because they think they will not catch using one. One interesting point is the radio sets they use to send a signal from their bite alarm to their hand set. Some have a range of 50mtrs I thought that you were not leave your rods out and be any distance away from them. No good sitting forty yards back a find a poor fish has run around a snag or a bird picks up your line.
The real skill in carp fishing is climbing.
You find the highest tree, climb it just to look at open water then with all the skill you plumet back to earth:)

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

You see plenty of Dutch carpers fishing the French lakes using multipliers.Brit carpers will never change though.

M

Mike Lee

I am going to make an amnesty, surely there must be an unfasionable Carp Fishermen out there who have thought about using a multiplier or actually use one!?

J

Jeremy Airey

Sorry chaps
I'm going to have to disagree a little with you here.
Been there and tried that.
IF you are prepared to learn to cast properly/effiiciently (NB Ron's point about modern carpers and instant success) I don't think that there is a lot of difference in performance between a mult. and a f/s.
In fact as an all round fishing/carping tool the fixed spool is better than the multiplier especially at the top end of the range, IMO.
I think multipliers are more fun to use than F/S and way better for most freshwater lurefishing but they neither nessecary or 'better' for the application mentioned although IN THE RIGHT HANDS they could do the job.
(Incidently I do a little seafishing too.)
regards
Jeremy Airey

D

Dave Rothery

if you look at the uksf record list there is about a 15m difference on a 230m cast, so about 7m on a 115m (the limit for most anglers). thats using a very finely balanced (and if you talk to the casting pro's - unsuitable for fishing - multiplier) with a pendulum cast-which isnt exactly suitable to most rigs/pva bags/stringers etc.
the chances of cracking off are much higher with a multiplier - go to any casting comp and count them - so the chances of a serious injury/fatality are much higher.

i used to know a guy who did use them and could put a bait a long,long way (he was a casting instructor) but he didn't really catch any more than anyone else.

would hace thought they are more suited to jungle style barbel/chub, but the problem is, it does take a bit of skill to master, somthing that the average barbel angler is not prepared to aquire, The average barbel angler today wants instant success and because of this the fixed spool reel is much easier to master.

Also the average barbel angler today wants to pose, and a pair or threesome of reels on his pod, upside down, does little for his street cred.

R

rob tudor

Good to see that having a wee dig at carp anglers(tackle tarts) is alive and well. As a confirmed TT I agree that looks are the most important thing for a lot af carp anglers. The thing with long/extreme range fishing is that most carp anglers do not have the technique to cast over 100m doen't matter what they are using! I can cast when I have been practising up to 140m and that is measured on a field. The key word is practise i have just gone back to a lake that has a reputation for long range fishing and due to lack of practise I am strugling to cast 120m however i am still out casting by some margin most of the other anglers. I do mark all my spools at 120m when i am spolling up so i have an idea how far I am casting . I have tried using a multiplier and it is an art. wether it adds metres to the cast is debatable. Straight forward OTG casting is about the same to really work a multiplier south african or pendulem casting is better but those techniques are not compatible with the average carp lake. If you ask the ave carp angler how far he is casting take 20m off for a true figure myself included before i started marking my lines. It is a real eye opener to go to a casting tournament in terms of distance and seeing the crack offs!!!

D

Dave Rothery

having a dig alive? its all the saddo's do! they're just jealous, sitting out there in the cold and rain blanking whilst we're tucked up nice and warm in bed, watching tv with a nice curry and a mug of cocoa blanking.

R

Ron Clay

To be fair, the fixed spool reel is by far the most effective reel to use. Even today if I did a bit of beach casting, I would probably buy one of the new distance fixed spool reels by Shimano.

When I was a good deal younger, I learned to cast the South African Style using a Penn style multiplyer without magnetic drags or any of the modern gismos. With a great deal of practice I managed 170 metres on a good day with 5 ounces of sinker.

Some of the locals could cast enormous
distances, upwards of 200 meters, but crack offs were common and if you are sending 5 oz of lead out to sea you might just hit someone on a boat.

Not to be done on a gravel pit on land. A 5 oz lead can travel at 200 feet a second and is capable of killing.

David Preston

Reaction score
Going back to the original question, the main problem is that a multiplier hasn't got a fast enough retrieve ratio to keep up with a fish running toward the angler. This could lead to lost fish and worse.

C

Chris Bishop

I don't think multipliers are that compatible with most forms of freshwater fishing, other than lure fishing. A few years back they were in vogue for pike fishing from boats, but this seems to be dying down now.

You could get all kinds of problems carping with them, assuming you leave the rod in the rests with the spool disengaged baitrunner-style, you could end up with one awful over-run if a fish bolted off.

The rod would be "upside down" in the rests and you'd have to use it "wrong-handed", ie right hand wind, if you went for reels without level winds, which are designed for distance casting.

The drags quickly get sticky if you don't remember to keep unscrewing them (be honmest, who does...?), no problem if you're using 80lbs braid lure fishing for pike, when you don't really let them have a lot of line, but I expect it could cause some heartbreak fishing for carp.

R

Ron Clay

As Chris says, multiplyers do have certain restrictions.

They really come into there own where you have to pull hard at very big fish. I wouldn't like to tackle a 200lb vundu from a boat using a fixed spool reel.

They really excel at bass fishing (American Bass) with lures. The accuracy you can achieve by feathering down onto the spool with your thumb is incredible.

You can also feel the line with your thumb as it leaves the top of the reel for the faintest tap from a bass. And actually this is where a right hand wind baitcasting multiplyer beats the left hand wind, assuming you are right handed.

Think about it.

J

Jeremy Airey

Ron, Chris et al,
I think we are in danger of rehashing a lot of 'old' arguments of when and where a multiplier or f/s is best. They just don't apply any more as technology has moved on a lot.
Today - as in right now - the areas where one or other reel is 'better' are getting very blurred.
The top end of the market f/s is an incredably versitile and workmanlike tool but do you want to pay for those qualities - maybe ?300 plus. I'm talking Shimano Stella and Diawa Saltiga class reels here not your Emblems and Stradics which are both very good reels and I have one of each but they are not in the same class as Stella's and Saltiga's. Ron's 200lb Vundu and Chris's 80 braid no probs on theses reels (bigger sizes of course), the Stella can put on an amazing 25kgs plus of drag and still work smoooooothly(sic).
Just some thoughts--
(BTW Ron 170 metres with an unbracked Penn - 'Way-to-go' man - well not too 'Shabby' at all.)
regards
Jeremy

D

David Will

Two chaps,possibly Italian,recently won some sort of Carp match using multipliers.John Wilson used one on one of his programmes whilst fishing for Carp.
I enjoy using them but in a boat and with bigger lures only,even on a beach I prefer a fixed spool.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Slightly of subject but why would any one want a drag capable of excess of 50lb when around the 11lb mark is the most sustainable amount of pressure you can apply with a rod during normal use?

ian hewett

Reaction score
Dave Preston hit the nail on the head its the retrieve that matters which a multiplier could not keep up with the high speed of a carp and the sudden changes of direction. I mix and match my takle from all arms of our sport and find multipliers feel more balanced on a 2lb carp rod (for bass fishing)than my standard 8000 GTE Shimano but would never take the multiplier down the pond for the above reason not because I would be worried by what people think although you would get some funny looks for sure!.