Feeder problems

A

Anthony Atkinson

Could someone please tell me what i am doing wrong?
When feeder fishing i have my feeder(usually a maggot feeder)attached to my main line via a swivel,then a rubber bead and then to another swivel.I then attach my hook length to the swivel.
At this point everything appears to be fine it still looks good whilst going through the air when i cast out,but usually when i wind the line in i find that the hook length has tangled round everything.How can i stop this from happening,When the hook length stays as it should do i manage to catch fish

David Preston

Reaction score
Tricky one - everyone gets like this. One simple thing to try is add another bead alongside the existing one - this forms a short 'boom' effect and separates the hooklength from reel line just enough to help.

Also try different shaped feeders - they fly differently and you might find a shape that tangles less.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
mmmmm feeder fishing.

have you tried any other rigs???
I always use a loop set up ...feeder on big loop with hook length on loops coming off this one. hard to explain but have a browse and you might find it

D

Dave Slater

Anthony,
I don't know if it has any bearing but your rig sounds a bit complicated to me. I try to keep my rigs as simple as possible. I generally use a short hook link with a feeder, six inches or so, which may help reduce tangles. All of my hooklinks are pre-tied with a swivel at the end. What I usually do is slide the feeder up the line, then slide a bead up the line, then tie the main line to the hook link swivel. I generally use fine braid for my hook link, spiderwire or corastrong. I very rarely get tangles when feeder fishing so it may be worth your while trying my rig and seeing how you get on with it. I have a feeling the problem may be that you are using two swivels on your rig.

G

goff dyer

Anthony try a 6inch length of shrink tube at the top of your hooklength, also acts like a boom (nice and stiff!) works for me.

P

Peter Murray

Shrink tube works a treat, but also dab your finger on the reel spool just before the feeder hits the water, to flick the hooklength over, which helps. Those dear old maggots will always spin on the retrieve at range on a simple rig, so I stick a tiny swivel in too, to help,for good luck.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
If fishing double maggot hook one through "head" and one through "tail" will reduce spin.

W

William Spencer

tie a seperate hooklength with a four turn water knot.trim the tag end of the hooklength as close to the knot as poss.you should have two lines where the knot is,mainline and hooklength.trim the mainline down to about four inches.tie the swivel direct to this.tie on your hook to the hooklength.(start with around a two foot hooklength).clip on your feeder on away you go.when casting out leave about two foot between feeder and rod tip and let momentum make the cast.if you go balls to the wall and try to force the feeder you will end up with problems.just before the feeder hits the water feather the line down gently.i have never tangled with this rig.

T

Tom Sexton

It could be that your rig is absolutely fine. When you retrieve your line try doing it a bit slower. Sometimes rigs tangle on the retrieve! This doesn't really help I know, but this is where you have to have faith in your setup.

J

Jason Lennon

Dead simple. go to your tackle shop, spend a couple of quid on a pack of John Roberts' feeder booms. there is a diagram on the back of the pack, telling you how to rig your tackle using the booms.

They are also very useful as they have a clip to attach your feeder to, so you can easily change to different sizes and types of feeder at a moments notice. Also great for when you wanna move to a different swim. as you can take the feeder off the clip, and you dont have a feeder bouncing around on the line as you walk to your next swim.

J

Jason Lennon

they are considerably easier to use than all the fancy loop rigs, water knots, etc