never use bonjela on a fish?

S

Steve Clements

F.A.O. Andrew Thomas re. bonjela!!!!!!
Care to submit an article now?
Sorry, could'nt resist it.
Waiting for slings and arrows from da team lol.

D

Dave Slater

Adcortyl in Orabase is very good. It is used by dentists for mouth ulcers. Put some Friars Balsam on top of it to keep it on the fish longer. I use this on my fish at home.

S

Stuart Wilson

I like fish but this is mad and most European / Auatralian / US anglers reading this would think it was the ramblings of a deranged mind!

Carp anglers desire to catch / care for big carp has probably done more to destroy aquatic environments in this country than cormerants / rainbow trout fisheries put together.

If you care for carp so much keep them in a garden pond (which is good fun / very relaxing) and don't fish for them.

D

Dave Rothery

to be fair, most euro/yank/aus anglers kill their catch so it wouldn't come into play.

your second comment is, quite frankly, rubbish. how do you quantify that statement?
it looks like your a pike angler, so what are you saying, rip the hooks out and chuck them back in? is that what you do with the pike?

you have a point about the deranged mind though

D

Dave Slater

Stuart,
I keep carp at home and agree that it is good fun and very relaxing. I care for my fish and treat them well. This does NOT mean that I should not treat fish in the wild equally well. This does not just apply to carp but, as Graham pointed out at the end of Dave's article, to all fish. If you do not treat fish with respect you should not be fishing, simple as that. I treat all fish with respect and if this means that most European / Auatralian / US anglers think I am deranged then so be it.
Dave,
A very good article. I enjoyed reading it. I think it is very important to give the fish some consideration if our sport is to survive. There are many things we use in koi keeping which could be used for fish care on the bank. You are probably aware of most of these but I would be quite happy to let you have some details of what I use if you want to try some alternatives. I wasn't too sure about what you were saying in your last posting. I do hope you weren't having a go at pike anglers. I am fairly sure you were not but perhaps you could clarify this. If you were then read what Chris/Budgie etc. have to say on the pike threads. They care just as much as any other anglers.

D

Dave Rothery

no i wasnt dave. there are a lot of threads on the predator section about caring for pike, and i noticed the stuart contributes to these. i was wondering why he'd care for a pike, but not the other species.

D

Dave Rothery

next he'll be saying he doesn't use an unhooking mat......

S

Stuart Wilson

Sorry folks - hungover and in a bad mood this AM!

Used to catch carp a lot as a lad, and really enjoyed it, but I really find the whole naming fish buisness bizarre and don't like artificail fisheries, especially hole in the ground stocked with rainbows / carp. Some of these places are stocked to ridiculous levels. I'm sure its fun but why anyone would want to devote so much time and effort to catching what is basically a domesticated fish is beyond me.

Yes - you handle fish carefully if they're going back but I find it almost impossible to believe that dabbing antiseptic onto a fish will have any effect at all!

I alo think there's nothing wrong with eating the odd one. I've had carp in Europe and thought it tasted pretty grim, but thousands get eaten every day. Worth noting that very few Eupopeans come here on fishing holidays, but plenty of UK anglers go to Holland, Denmark, Spain and France.

I was fishing a loch with a friend from NZ last week - we had a total of 6 pike to 16 lb. Five of 'em went back but the 5th (a 5 lb jack) went into the freezer and was BBQ'd last night. Quite a nice taste.

D

Dave Rothery

i'm half polish, so i know all about eating carp!
why is it that carp anglers all get tarnished with the "hole in the ground" brush? match anglers tend to fish these places, yet "pleasure" anglers dont seem to get lumped in with them. a lot of questions get asked on the carp forum about poles and match carp angling, but i think they are more suited to the coarse thread, i think that most of the "carp anglers" on here tend to fish "harder" waters. but then these overstocked waters are a great way of getting people into the sport, rather than spending a year blanking on a hard water and giving up fishing altogether. each to their own i guess.

dabbing antiseptic may not do any more good, but it does no harm either, so why not? if you ever read albert romps book, it shows a 40+ from savay which was caught just before spawning with scales missing, scars etc. he caught it a week or so later and it was pristine - so pristine that they thought it was a different fish - all without klinik.

on the other side of the coin, a lake i used to fish had a parasite in it that was causing the skin to rot off any open wounds (it was around spawning time). fish were swimming on the surface in obvious distress. many of these were netted, cleaned off and treated with anti-septic and the parasite cleared up. fish did die, but only one of those that were treated did. coincidence? maybe

its been said before but whats wrong with naming a fish? if thats what floats your boat, fine (i couldn't really care what its called), but its hardly worth quitting carping about. fish unfished waters. fish rivers (before dave slater names the chub(couldn't resist dave!))

europeans do come over here - you see a few around the oxfordshire waters - but then why would they? they have far more quality carping on the continent than we have in the uk, and wraysbury/horton/etcetc aren't the sort of water that you can "drop in on" for a couple of days. ask the french about the german/dutch(and english!) invasions of cassien/lac de dur etc and i'm glad they DONT come over.
i also think you'll find the euro carp anglers are every bit as caring of their catch as we are

back to work for a bit!

D

Dave Rothery

Read HERE for an interesting...ummm.....debate about antiseptics. sorry for dragging it up graham, but it does make some good points (well, some of it does!)

D

Dave Slater

Interesting Dave,
I see Carp Angler recommends an orabase type gel for a longer term benefit. The adcortyl in orabase I mentioned earlier in this thread is the best one I know. It is used by dentists for mouth ulcers. It used to be available only on prescription so I got it from a friend of mine who is a dentist in those days. You can now buy it over the counter at the chemists.

A

Andrew Thomas

Just noticed this thread so thought I would reply to Steve Clements.

What part of oral medecine would you like an article on Steve?