Waterlog Authors

R

Ron Clay

Those of you who read Waterlog, will have heard of such names as Dexter Petley and Gainsborough Leach. Are these people for real?
Come on Gainsborough and Dexter, let's here from you?

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Good to see you back Paul!!

I have great memories of your Mahseer talks of years ago. Thank you!

Don't let the B@st@rds get you down.

keora

Reaction score
Didn't **** Walker use a couple of pen names - one was "Water-rail", the other "L.O. Mycock" ? And what about "BB".

dezza

Reaction score
Walker's pen names were "Water Rail", "LO Mycock" (Only for funnies) and "Courtney Moor". He also wrote pieces for his local newspaper and a book on the Flemish Giant Rabbit using his middle name - Stuart Walker.

Denys Watkins-Pitchford was one of the UK's best, yet most underrated writers of countryside, angling and shooting books. He was also a superb fantasy and children's book writer, far better than Enid Blyton and approaching the greatness of JRR Tolkien. He won a Carnegie medal for his children's classic: "Little Grey Men".

Even Tolkien never achieved Carnegie Medal status.

Most of his works were written under the pen name of "BB", named after a shot size used for geese, although he wrote "Be Quiet and Go A-Angling" under the name of Michael Traherne.

I am a great admirer of BB.

Someone should make a movie of "Little Grey Men".

Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score
Those of you who read Waterlog, will have heard of such names as Dexter Petley and Gainsborough Leach. Are these people for real?
Come on Gainsborough and Dexter, let's here from you?

Why do you want to know ?
What business is it of yours ?
Why seek or try to embarrass them by drawing attention to their use of a nom de plume ?
Doing so on this website and not where it ought to be raised, if at all, ie. Waterlog ?
And why choosing to do it so openly and in public, instead of sending them a polite private email or message explaining why you want to know and explaining why it is that you have some interest or genuine reason for wishing to know their personal private identities, apart that is from mere idle curiousity or trouble making ?
And before you get on a high horse of offence at my taking umbrage on behalf of complete strangers you might do well to look up some of the formerly anonymous Bloggers and others whose lives have been destroyed by people who think they are "entitled" to know, but whose real motives are not much more than the isatiable curiousity of the gossip who simply has to know and broadcast it to the rooftops, regardless of the valid personal reasons for that secrecy in the first instance and the harm done on the other.

Particularly as you appear to be an anonymous trouble maker hiding behind the stolen nom de plume of Ron Clay, one of our respected members.....

Last edited:

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Why do you want to know ?
What business is it of yours ?
Why seek or try to embarrass them by drawing attention to their use of a nom de plume ?
Doing so on this website and not where it ought to be raised, if at all, ie. Waterlog ?
And why choosing to do it so openly and in public, instead of sending them a polite private email or message explaining why you want to know and explaining why it is that you have some interest or genuine reason for wishing to know their personal private identities, apart that is from mere idle curiousity or trouble making ?
And before you get on a high horse of offence at my taking umbrage on behalf of complete strangers you might do well to look up some of the formerly anonymous Bloggers and others whose lives have been destroyed by people who think they are "entitled" to know, but whose real motives are not much more than the isatiable curiousity of the gossip who simply has to know and broadcast it to the rooftops, regardless of the valid personal reasons for that secrecy in the first instance and the harm done on the other.

Particularly as you appear to be an anonymous trouble maker hiding behind the stolen nom de plume of Ron Clay, one of our respected members.....

****ing hell, hold on! You want some salt and vinegar on that? :D

Mr Petley likes nothing more than to be talked about! I’m responsible for lifting this ancient thread after doing a search “Dexter Petley” I don’t find the threads first post offensive or strange in anyway.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I understand Ron is working on a new book, 'Time Bombs and other UXBs'.

Only Ron could ask a question which everyone overlooks only for it to explode noisily NINE YEARS later.

Is this a record? :eek:

Windy

Reaction score
Ooops.
[insert]embarassed smilie[/insert]

Holy thread revival batman........ :wh:wh:wh

I didn't notice the date and honestly thought it was some stirring git trying to cause trouble hijacking Ron's identity in vain.... Sorry all.
Road to wherever paved with best of intentions and all that. Heart in right place, but brain on long term vacation.....

Last edited:

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Best comedic thread for ages, especially as it resulted from someone resurrecting one of Ron's pointless threads from 2001. Like digging up a corpse.

I have a nom de plume. Juan Kerr.

In the festive season I use Mary Krist (Ms)

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Ron Clay
[Guest]
????????????????????????????????

or am I missing the point? Again!!

Nirvana perhaps:D:D:D:D

Windy

Reaction score
Ron Clay
[Guest]
????????????????????????????????

or am I missing the point? Again!!

You aren't, I did.....

I took the post to be a wind up by someone signing in as a guest and trying to take Ron's name in vain.

Plus which privacy and the decision to post on t'interweb using a nom de plume has become quite an important issue of late - see of late Night Jack and the apalling behaviour of the Times, Girl with a one track mind and Belle de Jour.... hence my going nuclear on the supposed prankster's ass, making a public pratt of myself. All with the best of motives, but a pratt nonetheless :wh

Memo to self: read the posting date next time before posting a reply, you idiot :eek:

Last edited: