Braided hooklenghts!

N

nick austin

My club water has a braided hooklenght ban....so i fish mono main to mono hooklenght...but...at other venues where braid was alowed, i perfected tying braid rigs, and always use em....point is...ive never lost a braided hooklengh....but i have lost mono ones, on fish.OK, so the fish can eject a hook, but is it less dangerous for a fish to be towing around a mono hooklengh, than to be played on a braided one?..thoughts please?

D

Dave Rothery

use sly-ply / multistrand. they aint braids!

i use mono and braid hooklengths, and dont think any 1 is more/less damaging than the other, though i ALWAYS use hooklengths of lower b/s than the mainline - the strongest i've got is 17lb mono

D

Dave Slater

Dave,
Like you I use hooklinks lower, or sometimes the same, breaking strain than the main line. I have never been able to work out the trend in carp fishing to use heavier b.s. hooklinks than the mainline. Surely this cannot be good for the fish. Have you any idea why people use these heavier b.s. hooklinks?

D

Dave Rothery

i guess its for stiffness on stiff-rigs with mono's and combi's (like snakeskin etc), with braids i do have reservations about some of the micro-braids cutting into fish, so use a higher bs

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Using ultra fine diameter braided mainlines as hook length can cause bad cuts too fishs mouths.The flat braided hook lengths (like Super Silk) can also be dangerous,especially in a hit and hold situation.I learnt this the hard way.Hard for the fish that is.

D

Dave Rothery

like jim says though, we've all cut our fingers with mono when pulling knots tight.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

But have you ever cut a fishs mouth with mono? Please dont think I am anti braid as I have been probabley using braided main lines for longer than most people in this country due to my have being very influenced by the US tackle scene.I also use both mono and braid hook lengths.It is just a fact that some types cut more readily than others.