bivvys vs Tents

M

Martin Scullion

OK folks can u help me out here, Ihave been looking at buying some sort of small shelter for my piking in Winter and obviously I'm looking for some kind of bivvy/Tent.

Now can someone tell me what I am missing when I see good quality 2 man tents advertised at a camping store for a fairly decent price and then I see what appear to be the equivalent type of Fishing bivvy advertised at some 2-3 times the price of the tent.

Can somebody tell me what exactly I am getting from the bivvy that I am not getting from the tent, other than a lighter wallet of course !!!

Btw I am looking for something for a short term stay that will keep off all that a UK winter will throw at me.

Thanks for any help

D

Dave Rothery

it hasnt got a picture of a fish on it obviously!

i'd never spend ?300+ on a kevin nash camo viper tt, thinking its the best bivvy that i've ever had, large enough to dry out wet gear, and not get the condensation problems that people go on about.
never

well, maybe just once!

i think most dome tents are just normal dome tents with a different rain sheet, and its only the nash titans, aqua armadillo's and the newer fox ones that are really designed for fishing. relum, rod hutchinsons previous "partner" makes normal camping equipment...

A

alan outen

buy a cheap tent and a bottle of fabsil waterproofer paint it on and the water just runs off

S

Stu Black

Are there any tents out there that go up as quick as, say, a 'dillo? or do they all need pole threading etc?

A

alan outen

i've seen some pop up beach shelters but their not very sturdy. some smaller dome tents can be folded with poles already threaded but i dont recomened it as you can rip then if you get it wrong

D

Dave Rothery

only takes me a minute or so to put up the viper.....

S

Stu Black

yes dave, but is ther any normal priced tents that do the same? :)

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
I remember seeing a inflatable dome tent a many few years ago.
Still dont really see the difference in bivvies and domes though.....
We have a dome Ok a very large one for family camping....every weekend (almost) last summer two adults, two kids and a dog lots of rain humidity etc etc never had a problem I think it must come down to the picture of the fish on the label and not forgetting the famous "tackle tart" who would buy a nash used shit house roll if it was packaged nicely.....(sorry kev first name I thought of)

D

Dave Rothery

I know what i'd rather be in during a gale on the top of dartmoor....i'll try and dig out the photo of everyone's domes blown inside out, and the three nash titans that were on there still standing......

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Im not saying domes are perfect and yes if you buy a ?40 from Argos then you are going to have probs but ?300 buys a very good quality dome.........and if they are good enough for Everest base camp then.....

D

Dave Rothery

but they

a: arent camoflaged
b: dont have a pic of a carp on it
c: you never see ads for them, so cant be any good
d: wont get you any poser value kudos from passerby's

point d is probably the most important ;)

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Yup point d most definately most important to the TT's

About time one of the manufacturers released a flouro bivvy so can be spotted by all at the water and admired in awe, at least that way when roming the bank with your receiver you know which bivvy to calmly saunter back to at the sign of a run.

M

Matthew Nellist

How many bivvies will face a 60mph wind into the door..... the titan does.... enough said

I

Ian Whittaker

My Shakespeare Camou will Matthew! But it does it at a very strange angle!!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

So does my Nash Canvas overwrap young Nellist!

A

alan outen

i put up a cheap 2 man dome tent (?10 i think) in a storm on the beech with wavesa reaching 20 foot+ and it stayed up