Flourocarbon Leaders

R

Ron Clay

Since first using them 3 years ago I have been sold on fluorocarbon leaders. Thet turn almost invisible in the water and I'm convinced they have helped me catch a lot more trout. What do other think?

R

Rob Brownfield

I have used them for trout and carp for nearly five years now (got some from Japan ages ago) I like the newer ones, but I did find them a little too stiff for using with buzzers etc. Having said that, I was using 8lb line on a size 18 buzzer (Big fish u see)
The newer stuff is much better. I will carry on using the stuff.

A

Alan Roe

I have been using flourocarbon for tippets for around the last three years.
Like you both I am fairly convinced that they have lead to an imrovement in my catch rate.
They are particularly useful when the rivers are low and clear, the line sinks and I am sure that due to its refracive index being closer to water than other monofils it is that bit harder for fish to spot.
I am prepared to admit that the added confidence that using this stuff gives me is probably worth a fish or two as well!
So I will continue to use it......untill something better comes along that is !

R

Ron Clay

Alan that's much the same reason as I use it. What brand do you use? I have found Drennan, Sightfree & Uncle Jacks OK. There are some rubbish brands around of course that are not really fluorocarbon. the trick is to set light to it. If it burns with a flame - bin it. If the flame goes out when you remove the match, its the real stuff I just wish they would produce it with less shine

D

Denis Goulding

Yes they are good at time's,what BRANDS do use,some of the flourocarbon is absolutely terrible with knot's i have used most of them river and lakes,i am just wondering which ones have you settled with............................

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
As a hooklength for floater fishing for carp I strip the fluoro gently through a piece of wire wool to remove the shine.

My favourite brand is Sufix Invisiline. It's a lot more expensive than some but it's the real thing, which is probably why it isn't cheap.

D

Dave Johnson

I have used flouro for two seasons now when flyfishing and either I am better at presentation or the line really works!
I go for the second option!
Have also used it on the Dove for Barbel when the river is clear and again results are much improved and generally better than the lads i fish with.
Do you really mind paying an extra fiver when it gives you confidence?
I know I dont

C

colin Leatherbarrow

As a tackle dealer I get to use lots of free samples of fluorocarbon. Over the past 5 years I have tried a dozen different brands for trout/salmon fly fishing. I use Spectre (now called Illusion for 2001) Very reliable stuff. The big problem is dropper knots with all fluorocarbons. John Pape from Cumbria developed the 'double uni-knot' for droppers, clever man is John.

C

Colin Leatherbarrow

Knots for fluorocarbon. I have found the grinner (or uni) knot the best (reliable)for tying-on flies etc. For droppers we have settled-on the 'Pape' double-uni knot, with a tuck to make the thicker tag-end stick-out to tye-on the dropper fly, sorry for the complicated explanation! believe me, once shown this knot you will not use all the other old fashioned knots, designed for nylon line.
My pals and I have spent ages of our 'sad' lives stood in my tackle-shop playing with all different brands of fluor line and the double-uni wins every time with all brands, suffice to say though that some brands perform better than others, the dearest brands do not perform as well as other more affordable ones, (paying for the packaging and name)
A rep once told me that the very smart box his brand of fluor line comes in, costs more than the actual line and spool in the box!!! enough said.

A

aiden kennedy

i find sightfree the besr for trouble knots and for droppers