help!

les spall

Reaction score
i have recently started coarse fishing after finding a stocked water nearby. there are carp,tench,roach,perch,pike,and Eels. i can catch everything except what i wan ie carp and tench. the water has a couple of bays which look like good fish holding areas but all i seem to catch are the perch. could someone please give me some tips on how to find or catch (as they may be there) some carp or tench. the water is quite weedy and ranges from 3-6 feet in depth. my takle bag does contain some carpet bait and some pop ups. please help!

T

Terry Comerford

Les, on a new venue that holds carp and tench, I always start at the base of the first shelf, just out from the bank.
Plumb up with a SSG shot on your hook, and find the depth just in front of your feet.
Walk the rig out until you find the edge of the shelf where it begins to drop off and deepen.
Keep lowering the float in at spots six inches further out each time, altering the depth if the float sinks under.
When you have had 2/3 drop ins without having to deepen any more you have found the base of the first shelf, its usually 1to4 mtrs out from the bank in stillwaters.
Lay down a carpet of inert feed, casters, dead maggots, corn or chopped meat at this point and fish a large bait over this 'dining table'.
Works for me most of the time on new waters, carp and tench patrol these shelves as food naturally gathers at the spot where the shelf meets the level lake bed.
Here's a sideways view in text.
TTT.....X
.....................Yzzz..........
If you were sitting on top of the TTT of my rather poor diagram, the dots following the Yzzz would represent the top of the shelf under the water, at X the shelf drops off and deepens down to Y, zzz is where you would lay your bed of feed, and place your float rig.
At some point patrolling carp and tench will find your bed of feed and often give away their presence with bubbles rising to the surface as they get their heads down.

les spall

Reaction score
thanks terry im going out on friday for a weekend of fishing and will try that out. as im up in aberdeen and there isnt much coarse fishing (less pike)around the takle shops dont really cater for it. could you or anybody else recomend any baits i could pick up from the local supermarket or even pet shop to increase my chances. i cant get maggots anywhere and the missus dosnt think much of the idea of making your own!!

D

Dave Rothery

vitalin (dry dog food), bird seeds, groats, wheat, maize, sweetcorn, must be able to get trout pellet up there! just make sure you prepare them properly

les spall

Reaction score
w fype ofhen you say prepare them properly what do you mean? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but ive only been at this type fishing for a couple of weeks.

T

Terry Comerford

Luncheon meat.(Tinned)
Bacon Grill. (Tinned)
Macaroni Cheese (Tinned)
Whiskers cat food. (Tinned)
Bread.
Lobworms. (Chopped for feed, whole for the hook)