The Carp Column: Running Leads & Leadcore.

D

Darren Wilson

Hi Rik

What brand of leadcore are you using? I have too played with running leads on leadcore and have experimented with Nash Limpet's, Kryston S-Core and ESP Leadcore. I have found personally no problems using running leads on these materials. I will say though that with a 'Pendant' type setup I will always use a large diameter ring, and with an inline running lead setup a flat cushion type lead. When using leadcore I always use a lead of at least 3oz's. This is to ensure that the lead is not moved at all therefore allowing smooth passage of the leadcore through the run ring or flat lead. The flat leads I use are made by a friend of mine especially for this purpose, so they have a relatively large bore already. I can see that resistance can be increased if you fish with tight lines, but if a line is slack it will pass through the ring/lead very very easily.

I would be interested to hear what you think Rik.

Keep up the good work mate.

C

Carp Angler

Darren,
I've found that when you try to pull leadcore thru a lead, be it a large bore run ring or large bore lead, that unless it is pulled directly away and in a straight line thru the lead, then it will not run smoothly enough.
If you put any kind of angle into the pull then the leadcore refuses to bend and causes a jagging movement on the lead.
I've found this to be worse on slack lines but less prevelant when there is some tension in the line.

I've used Orvis Sink Tips, Nash Limpets, F** Leadcore and originally Cortland Lead Fly line (about 10 or 12 years ago)