The Carp Column: Carp & Groundbait

D

Darren Wilson

Does anyone else use 'groundbait' in their quest for Big Carp? I do mix in a fair bit of base mix, Nash Whiskey EEE's and Salmon Fry crumb into my Hemp when fishing the margins or have a boat available. This I have used for years (apart from the EEE's & used to use Trout pellet powder instead of Salmon Fry Crumb) and caught a fair few fish over it. One thing that is always in the back of my mind though is the increased chance of so-called 'Nuisance' fish. I don't mind catching Bream or Tench (in fact I welcome them on slow days), but if I have been specifically targeting one fish and a Bream picks up the bait before the carp does it can be a bit annoying.

How much of groundbait do you introduce? Do you put in a shed load or just a little bit often? I have used 7kilo of hemp per rod before (10kilo if you include the basemix & Salmon Fry crumb) and caught straight away, yet on other days a little and often approach works better? Interesting topic and something that seems to be associated with the Method rather than a seperate concept.

What are your views?

C

Carp Angler

I think any kind of mass baiting is a very productive method for carp, as can be seen by the excellent results associated with hemp and trout pellets.
Groundbaiting is another form of mass baiting and it's easier to fish further out than hemp.
It also lends itself to experimentation with content and flavours, which will always give you an edge if you are always thinking and applying.