HELP - storing files on the internet

J

Jason Lennon

I want to make a presentation available for you guys to have a look at. Only problem is, I cant give you the address to access the server here at work, cos for some reason, I cant find the correct address for the server.
So, to make things easier, I need to find an external site that I can upload the file to, then I'll be able to create a link for you all to view it. I'm quite proud of my little presentation, and would love for you guys to see it, then you could tell me what you think, give me some pointers on how to improve it etc...

Anyone know of such a site that I can upload my file to, and create a link for you to view it?
It has to be free as I have no credit card etc....

J

john conway

Jason in what format is your presentation; is it a single word doc (basically an article) in which case you could send it to Graham and have it published on FM. Is it an excel spread sheet, PowerPoint presentation, an access database or a combination? Again Graham may be able to provide a home for it as a feature with links for those who have the right applications to open your work. If it’s some thing you want to keep updating then why not create your own web site and just post us the address? As yet I’m not into writing my own web site so may be some else could point you in the right direction.

J

Jason Lennon

Eddie - good site - pity, the free account is only 1 megabyte. My presentation is just under 2 megabytes.

Could you suggest another?

John, it's a powerpoint presentation. I'm pretty pleased with it, however, I'm not sure that Graham would want to 'provide a home' for it, as each section of the presentation has a title screen, and each title screen has got pictures/photo's that I copied and pasted from the internet, so copyright would probably be an issue.

Or would it? I know that websites CAN prevent pictures from being copied & pasted, so maybe if you can copy them, they dont have any copyright??????

J

Jason Lennon

EDDIE!!!

I got my presentation uploaded onto Doramail - how do I make it accesible to you lot?

I havent got a clue with that site! must be all the bright coulurs putting me off!!

J

Jason Lennon

I think I've come up with a solution: go to my thread entitled Something For You to See

I think this will do it. just means you get the file download dialogue box instead of viewing it from the website

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

just get this when you try to open it .......

PowerPoint has encountered errors in this file and cannot open it. Try opening another copy of the file. For instance, if the file was sent to you in e-mail, have it resent, and try opening the file again. Or, if you opened the file from a floppy disk, get another copy of the file on a new disk.

L

Les Clark

Jason,I tried it to and got the same as Eddie,"Just like that".

J

Jason Lennon

I'm gonna try uploading it again. sometimes bits of data do get lost in file transfers. I'll put a post in when I've finished

J

Jason Lennon

Ok try it now. I just deleted the original one and uploaded it in again. I tried it and it worked for me. I just chose open now on the file download dialogue box.

C

Cakey

jason
it works ok
had to download 1.92meg but ok with my broadband.
to much copy and not enough of you(only my opinion)otherwise very good

J

Jason Lennon

freeuk.com a load of garbage. I need a FREE site where you DONT pay anything. freeuk only uploads files from your pc when you buy a program from them to make you webpage with. so its not really free is it??

Wish I could find a better site than that stupid doramail thing. it slow and frustrating. I think they having server probs at the mo - I updated my presentation and cant upload it at the minute!!! GRRrrrrrrr!!!!

J

Jason Lennon

Cakey - yes I have used various websites to obtain the info contained in my presentation. Why write it all myself, when I get the same info by copying & pasting? its quicker & easier, and I think I deserve some credit for scouring the net to find the info I need??
That's why the internet is nicknamed the Information Superhighway isnt it??....

After all, it doesnt matter if I wrote the info myself, cos someone somewhere would have the exact same words on a website somewhere around the world. In Kurt Angle's words - It's true, it's true...........

R

Rodney Wrestt

It's damn True......

I didn't know you Olympic gold medal winner and America's role model was into making internet presentations Jason :eek:)

J

John Hepworth

Does you I.S.P not give you any space, most do. Failing that do a search for free web hosting- you may have to put up with popups though. Failing that even, supanames do a very good packege for about ?14-00, including a uk name,and no adds.