What price a blank

J

john conway

Another good article from “The Alternative Angler” tong in cheek maybe but what do we learn from blanking? To my mind there are generally three types of blanks. One, it’s a new water or peg and your finding your way. Sometimes your lucky and hit on the right bait and method straight off other times it may not happen as quickly or not at all. Do you then right off that particular water or peg? Secondly, there’s always the inevitable blanks associated with the setting of any trap, you prepare your trap and you wait, sometimes a few hours, maybe a day or two or a whole year just waiting for that one special fish to turn up. And finally the third, just down right shitty conditions, rivers too high, rivers too low, too much colour not enough colour everything’s frozen. What ever your reason does blanking embarrass you?

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Nope I take em on the chin I dont actually mind blanking that much make the good days even better, though I at least like to figure out why I am blanking and learn from it

A

alan outen

even if i dont catch ive still had a nice break from the wife and kids

S

Stephen Mc Cormack

Frustrates the hell out of me but always tell myself that I've learnt something also keep a diary and try and put down why I think i blanked at least then the next time i've got something in mind to work on and this usually helps.

I

IAN HOBKIRK

Blanking is part of fishing you either catch or you dont,but its fun anyway.It dont bother me as long as i keep it to myself.

D

Dave Rothery

i much prefer blanking to catching fish, i'm better at it....

L

Les Clark

Blanking is part of fishing ,sod`s law,and when it go`s right,it make`s it taste sweeter.

R

Ron Clay

Yes Les, I fully agree.

Trouble is that here in Yorkshire, blanking means being "Watter licked" and in the Midlands it means "Dry Nettin".

Which means you are a lousy angler.

I

IAN HOBKIRK

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy, we go fishing on some of the worst days possible and expect to catch,but its being there that counts.

R

Ron Clay

Looking forward to seeing you again Ian.

We will plan some joint ventures. I have taken out a ticket to the BS stretch of the Swale.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I never blank.................excuse me, I've just got to pick up my moniter as my nose pushed it off the desk :eek:).

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Dont mind blanking but I HATE not catching or catching very little because I have fished poorly.

F

Fred Bonney

From the ultimate blanker,it's all part of lifes rich tapestry.
My trouble is, that most of the time I don't learn from it and keep on trying the same method.Must prove,I suppose,there's method in my madness, or that,I just like to get out in the countryside.

I

IAN HOBKIRK

Yes Fred just being there away from the hustle and bustle of modern life.

Apart from the odd boat that is.

K

Keith Hacking

Five years i've been trying to catch a salmon on fly,can catch them on worm,shrimp.and spinning,But on the fly no way.
One day though.

D

Dave Slater

Blanking on hard waters after big fish is part of life. The best thing to do is to break it up with the odd session on a commercial 'bagging' water. I couldn't do this all the time but it is good fun for the odd session between fishing harder waters.

S

Stuart Bullard

John - you missed a reason (No 4 I think). Basically being a crap angler! And we have all been there.

I'll pose another question.....is there anything like a "good blank"? I think there is. Its where you come away having learnt something.

Never will I forget my first ever "proper" carping session. By proper I mean all buzzered and bait runnered up. I was cacking myself as it was all new to me and I felt somewhat intimidated.

Anyway, matey settles down in the next swim to me and I observed him set up all his gear, bivvy etc (I was just fishing into dusk). Out goes about 100 boilies into two different areas. Half an hour later, in comes both rods, he changes boilies (why?) and back out to the same place, followed by about 6 balls of groundbait into each area. A bit later he stays chatting with me for half an hour before muttering about his boilies being crap, so once again changes them BUT, he also baits up two completely different areas and casts to them. All this in two hours.

By the time he moved to a new swim at 8pm he had done this a number of times, plus done a bit of spinning to while away the time.

Amazingly, the following day when I popped down for some early morning tenching, he had moved again !!

So, just picking up on what Budgie said, I swore blind after that episode that I would always at least try and make it look like I knew what I was doing (i.e. not fishing poorly).

Yes I blanked as well, but I reckon mine was a better blank!