day ticket south / south east?

shane_b

Reaction score
Need a change of scenery from doing up the house so I want to take my partner away for this weekend so I can do a bit of fishing (seeing as the river at the end of my garden is out of bounds now!) and she can read a book or go for walks etc. I really wanted somewhere with a lake or 2 and accomodation onsite but they seem rare, so just a good day ticket water will do. Needs to be somewhere within 50 odd miles of Woking, picturesque etc. etc.. I am not from this part of the country and apart from the Thames and RMC waters I am clueless.

Not really into commercial fisheries, fancy maybe a bit of early tenching or my first crack at carp (so not *too* hard please!), or maybe a bit of late piking... open to ideas!

Thanks in advance.

Tim

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Only really know the commercials in that area, but you could try ringing Goldsworth angling centre in woking 01483 776667

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Marks idea of Bury Hill is a good one, and there is a fine hotel, often doing some good deals nearby. In front of the hotel drive is the Wooton Hatch gastro-pub, which is superb, if a little pricey. These are but 2 miles from Bury Hill on the road to Shere and Gomshall.

I'd need to research the name of the hotel, but some angling pals came over from Switzerland and got a right deal there. The pub food was the best I have eaten in Surrey and the beer superb.

paul123

Reaction score
Frant Lakes.

Might be a bit far for you but, Frant Lakes near Tonbridge is a good commercial. In the weald of Kent and not far from Frant/Tonbridge;;plenty of hotels and BBs probably. I believe you can camp on the fishery but, better check as not too sure. Just a very nice fishery with 8/9 lakes.

InteraX

Reaction score
Marks idea of Bury Hill is a good one, and there is a fine hotel, often doing some good deals nearby. In front of the hotel drive is the Wooton Hatch gastro-pub, which is superb, if a little pricey. These are but 2 miles from Bury Hill on the road to Shere and Gomshall.

I'd need to research the name of the hotel, but some angling pals came over from Switzerland and got a right deal there. The pub food was the best I have eaten in Surrey and the beer superb.

Would that be Wooton House? Lovely hotel. Old country manor house. Got married there. Entrance is about 20 yds down the road from the Wooton Hatch.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I drove past on Monday and you are quite right...The Wooton House Hotel it is.

The pub, always a beauty, changed hands a few years ago and is now a 'gastro-pub':eek:

However the ale was first class ( Hogs Back of course Neil) and the food excellent. My Swiss/English chums have a young lad who is a bit picky with his nosh....the kitchen knocked-up something just for him, in the most proffessional and helpful way possible. I used to be a chef before retiring...I can ALWAYS pick fault with a restaurant if I'm in the mood.

That place I couldn't fault !

.....and i really tried:wh