This horrible heat

R

Ron Clay

Had to pack up what could have been a good barbel session on the Trent today. The heat and humidity became virtually intolerable.

Now that will surprise some of you as many know I spent nearly 30 years of my life living in Southern Africa.

But it was not like this. At least in the evenings in summer we used to get a bloody good thunderstorm and downpour for an hour or so. This cleared the air and made everything feel and smell fresh and sweet. And we didn't get this awful humidity.

I have been in places where the temperature has risen to 45 deg C, yet I never felt as hot as I do now.

I hope this heat wave doesn't last too long as I shall have to emigrate back to South Africa to get a cooling breeze.

When the rains come, I'm going to stand out in it!!!!

G

goff dyer

Ron i heard on the radio today and i quote,
3 dark skinned men were seen today dragging a live swan up the bank on the river trent at newark? did you see anything.
(do you fish this part of the trent?)

R

Ron Clay

No, but I beleive that old Merv has a bit of a sun tan at the moment.

I

IAN HOBKIRK

Hi Ron,
glad to see you made it back in one piece,you also forgot to mention the number of dying fish we saw,mainly the 5lb plus chub i tryed to revive for 30mins to no avail i had to let nature take its course and claim. her back

C

Chris Bishop

We had thick fog in the Fens until around 10am - eerie driving through it and fishing in it. Got hot pretty quick once it went though. And we never caught anything either.

D

Dave Slater

Horrible round here. The Avon and Stour both look stale. I won't be fishing again until we get some rain.

R

Ron Clay

Yes Ian It was sorry to see that chub die.

It was certainly a five.

It was also a bit worrying to see a number of other fish in distress. The cooler weather promised early next week can't come quick enough.

Why in heaven's name do the BBC weather people call this heat wave "good weather" and when some nice overcast wet weather comesw in do they call it "bad weather"?

I think they should send some of you poms to the Qatarra Depression for a few weeks, in Lybia, and then see how you like it.

It get's up to 54 deg C there.

And it hasn't rained there in 200 years.

I

IAN HOBKIRK

That sounds just like it reads depressing and no fish?

But seriously do you or anyone think this is good for fish?

Has anyone else seen any fish in distress in these conditions we are having now?

F

Fred Bonney

Didn't think you'd last out long Ron,I sat in that mist for three hours, still had my waterproofs on when the sun broke through at 10ish and started too boil.7 hours was more than enough for me.
When I left you there was a lot of weed starting to come down,something happening up stream??
Wouldn't have thought a lack of oxygen in this river would be a problem,but it certainly will give problems to slower and shallower rivers ,ponds etc..

R

Ron Clay

Fred, the heat today was incredible. I hear it reached 36 deg C in the Midlands.

In Joburg it rarely hit 28 deg C in January, the hottest month.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

The nearest UK summer to this I can remember was 1976.The fishing that year was very good even though a lot of stillwaters were very low.Suprisingly my local waters havnt droped much this year but the fishing has been hard. Whats everyone elses views and observations?

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Oh BTW I know wot you mean Ron.I walked out of my office the other day and it didnt feel that much different to Mequinenza in Spain during August!

R

Ron Clay

This aint English weather lets face it, and the sooner we get rid if it the better.

We need a week of heavy rain and cool temperatures.

J

Jack Pike

Its just brilliant enjoy it while we can long time winter in this country i always think back when i was building manholes in the winter of 1981 bloody hell that was cold

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Beautiful weather, long may it continue. You are getting old Ron, I still go to work every day with a shirt done up and a tie and jacket. Whats wrong with all you wuzzes, come Autumn you will be claiming its too cold. May we have many more summers like it.

I

IAN HOBKIRK

Yes not as we know it now ron but back in the 70s it was as budgie recalls.

back then the power stations were on the go, causing the water to be more warmer come summer or winter therefore making more fish food which my way of thinking is its making the waters more denser so the sun light dosent penetrate .Where as now the rivers are more clearer for the sunlight to go through causing more harm?

S

stuart palfrey

If it rains you moan,if the sun shines you moan,what do you want.