Your coldest fishing day

J

Jack Pike

Ok a lot of folk are moaning because we had a few days of sunshine saying its too hot.Can you remember your coldest day fishing. I,ve gotta think about this one

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

yes ---It was in the winter in Holland ------ brass monkeys and welders spring to mind...........

Line constantly freezing in the rings and landing net frozen stiff...but we still caught

D

Dave Slater

Right now I long for one of these days. I can remember a few years ago when a friend and I used to fish a local free stretch on the Stour at night. There are some shallows on this stretch, about 18 inches deep, and we used to fish these at night. The best catches of chub made from these shallows were taken in January when the night temperatures were sometimes down to minus 5 or 6. Also we didn't start catching until it had been dark for a few hours. Why the chub were on the shallows in these temperatures I do not know. My friend's theorey is that the friction of the fast water kept them warm. I used to have to thaw out in front of the fire when I got home and once I had an icycle hanging from my nose. I think the coldest night we fished was minus 8. We both caught. We fished until 9.30 and it took some time to thaw out.

R

Richard Drayson

I'll certainly never forget my coldest trip.
Chesil Beach in Dorset on a night trip trying for the cod in November when the temp in Bournemouth dropped to minus 10c. All the ragworm and lugworm froze and the water that we had taken to make a brew was solid.
My mate even set light to his sleeping bag after he woke up in the morning.
This provided some warmth but we decided to pack up and go home afterwards.
It even started to snow whilst we trudged back to the car.

J

John Pleasance

The frozen landing net and rod rings are fairly normal occurrences in winter, but I can remember fishing the Lea near Hertford one night a few years ago using flake for bait,I was beginning to think that the bread had got stale very quickly when it dawned on me that it was freezing.Had to stuff it inside my jacket to thaw it out.

K

Kevin Cox

One January morning back in the mid 80s, in the Cambridgeshire fens, i got so cold i had pains in my chest.
There was drifting, freezing fog & all i had was a pair of dock martins & a donkey jacket with the usual layers of socks & jumpers underneath.
I rekon Goretex is the best thing since sliced bread.

F

Fred Bonney

My coldest experience was 19th June 1973,in fact it was my first all nighter,the weather was hot.
I fished all night in shirtsleeves caught plenty of tench and bream but just as the sun came up, I started feeling cold and shivery,the only relief came when I went looking for the direct rays of the sun.
Never felt so bad,apart form food poisoning, but learnt a lesson.
The coldest hour is just before dawn.
Sounds like a good song title!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has to be a weekend match on the Gotekanal in Gotenberg, Sweden in late October '96.
The last match of the season was always fished on this stretch due to the warm water that came from a conventional power station upstream of the match venue.

This particular weekend the air temperatures were down around -7C with vicious upstream wind coming off the sea.

For the last 2 hours of the match I fished a 4m whip which when the whistle blew at the end took about 5 minutes to get free from my fingers.

Right now it is 5am here in Houston and the temperature is already 88 degrees F with a forecast of 110 by lunchtime - to be totally honest, I wish it were October and I was back in Sweden!

R

Ron Clay

January 1964 - Hornsea Mere East Yorks.

Out with Barrie Rickards, Ray Webb and Eric Hodson.

East wind off North Sea. Caught 1 pike, I forget how big, but Eric noticed my behavior in the bottom of the boat. I was suffering the early stages of hypothermia and I was seeing double.

They got me off the water and into the nearest pub where a large fire and a double brandy brought me back into the world.

The story is related by Barrie in Ray and Barrie's book: "Fishing for Big Pike".

They didn't mention my name at the time as my friends my have thought I was "nesh"!!

Being "nesh" is a disgrace in Yorkshire