Flourocarbon main line?

G

Glen Howell

I am about to replace the mainline on my reels. I have recently been using bullet braid. What I want is a line that sinks well and will lay on the bottom of the lake. I am looking at the adverts for X-Line in all the mags.
Has anyone used it?
Any info would be gratefully received.

M

Mike Lee

Hi Glen, I'm a bit stunned that the bullet braid doesn't do that anyway?

I haven't used it (I like hutchy sabre braid) but I was thinking of switching after speaking to people using it on Kingfisher during the winter.

G

Glen Howell

Mike,

I have had the bullet braid for about 18mths. Last season it was holding the bottom nicely, but this year it is starting to lift up in the water. I stripped the first 30 yars off the spools and it improved for a couple of sessions, but now it is starting to float again.
I am not sure what the life expectancy is of the bullet braid, but the floating braid on my lure fishing reels has been OK for three years or more.

I

Ian Whittaker

Glen,
I've had bullet braid on 2 reels for 2 years now , it still sinks like a brick.
Mike ,
How bouyant is sabrebraid , would it do for trotting or does it sit too low in the water?

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Funny thing this Braid. Some are on Sabre, some on Whiplash, some on Fire-Line etc.

Then the adverts tell you that "There is a new sinking Braid", and a lot of people change again, at great expense. WHY?

Braid has great qualities, zero stretch, thin diameter, "semi bouyant". I love it.

If you want it on the deck then you are gonna have to play around a bit, cos thats not it's best feature. Make the most of the fact that it is bouyant!!!!!

For distance fishing it cannot be beaten.

At ridiculous distances(say 200 yards) if the line pulls through the lead 6", you will see a 6" movement at the indicator end (as long as the tip of the rod is still).

M

Mike Lee

Hi Ian
I'm not quite sure how to answer your question...

Sabre doesn't sink as well as bullet but it absolutely shines in every other respect.

I haven't heard of braid 'going off' before, very interesting coment about it starting to lift off.

Has anyone else heard of this before?

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Where is the best place to get a bulk spool of braid mainline from and what types can you all recommend, i have never used braided mainlines before but i hear that it has a lot of benefits!

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Try Cabellas.They stock a variety of braids including there own brand "Ripcord" and "Ripcord SI" A lot,lot cheaper than the UK.I have never had the problem with sinking braid floating but should imagine that like sinking and neutral density fly lines it can start floating due to a build up of grease.Cannt really understand what the problem with normal braid floating is anyway.Its not that bouyant for christsakes.By simply tightening down to your rig it will stay submerged.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Sorry forgot to add my personnal preference is for Spider wire.Dont like Fusion though.Oh dont bother with the sinking Fox feeder braid.Worst I have ever used.Although their Drift/Trollmaster braids aint to bad.

G

Glen Howell

mmmm...thanks for all the feedback guys. My braid seems to have absorbed a lot of muck from the lake water(The water is very green). I think I will unload it and respool from the opposite end this weekend, hopefully that will cure the problem.

I guess nobody has used X-Line despite all of the hype in the mags. I am always wary of products that are not available in reputable shops...

A

Andy Bird

hi glen , i'm currently using x line and can honestly say its superb . i too have tried bullet braid . but after using x line for the last 8 months , i wouldn't go back to it.

N

Nick Austin

you cant go wrong with berkley big game best line for all conditions