Anging Skill

R

Ron Clay

Have you ever thought which style of angling make the most demands on sheer manipulative skill. Many would say trotting a stick float or using lures or even quivertipping on a river. I feel the most skillful form of angling of all is fly fishing, especially in still waters at various depths.
What do you think?

R

Rob Brownfield

Arrrrrrghhh...Ron, how dare u say flyfishing is an art form!! Any old duffer can catch a fish on the fly!! hehehe!!

Seriously, rolling a Czech Nymph along a gravel run on a decembers morning when after a Grayling is a very skillful means of flyfishing, or maybe casting a dry fly to a Brownie that is sitting under a tree on the edge of a fast run, but I still think teasing a large Dace or Roach from a small, overgrown stream is the most skillful.

D

Darren Wilson

Match fishing at a consistent winning level. People like Bob Nudd, Will Raison and Alan Scotthorne are 'one-in-millions'. To consistantly beat anglers from a undetermined random swim, has to show a hell of a lot of skill.

The clear river Game Angler would be next on my list, then it would be the Carp Angler who pursues the Surface Fishing Method to a high level.

A

Alan Roe

Ron you are being very naughty!!
All the branches of angling have a range of skills which need to be mastered and depending on the innate abilities of the practitioner some will be easier to master than others.
So whether it be the 30yard wallis cast with float tackle or the 200yard cast of the skilled beach angler or the delecate presentation of the dry fly to a fish liying tight under a bush all these skills are in my book of equal worth and value.
Some anglers will fnd different skills easier to master than others but this does not mean that any of anglings skills is in anyway superior to any other.
There is in truth no heirarchy except in the minds of men.

B

Brett Western

I find that stalking your way around river banks, free-lining a piece of bread crust in order to temtp fish up to the surface is a major skill. When you take into account the time of year at the moment when most spieces are protential bottom feeders and water temperatures aren,t to warm I find this method skillful yet very rewarding to think I have fooled another big carp

R

Rob Brownfield

I have just thought...maybe the most skillful angling I have ever done was whilst living in the far east. I used to fish with 12oz line, the top 2 sections of a whip, a size 24 hook and tiny floats. I was fishing for Glass Fish, Gouramis and wild Siamese fighters for my fish take! The bait?..well..it was tiny bits of bacon rind! The skill was hitting the lightening fast bites and avoiding the snakes at the same time!

P

Philip Inzani

Dont know about it being the most skilful but I remember freelining for Dace in a tiny stream (river Darent in Kent) with a single maggot being pretty tricky. The shoals where really spooky and it was real creepy crawly stuff on hands and knees, trying to creep in to position and crane your neck to peer down into the water and watch the fish take your bait. A maggot drifted down on its own would have the fish coming right up to it, virtually touching it with its nose but refusing to take it, instead it would just drift down stream with the bait no more than an inch in front of it - talk about frustrating!
The only way you could get them to take it was to drift it amongst a handful of loose feed to try and get them competing with each other but even then a maggot on anything bigger than a size 22 hook was refused and if you hit about one take in four you where doing well.

I have been told that they are also one of the most difficult fish to hit on a fly?never tried it but its definitely one I have down on my "must try it" list at some point.

J

john conway

Hi Ron I have to agree with Alan “All the branches of angling have a range of skills which need to be mastered” However, we mustn’t mistake skill for knowledge. Skill is doing something well, but it takes knowledge to do the right thing well.

C

Carp Angler

Well said John.

Skillfully trotting a stick is no good if they want a stationary bait.

P

Paul Williams

OOPS!!!
SORRRY, wrong Bret.....i'm turning off before i get in more trouble!!!!

R

Ron Clay

I'm looking for an English to Brummie dictionary as I have to visit clients in Birmingham next week. Anyone know where I can get one?

P

Paul Williams

Ron,
You will be alright in Brum but if you step over the border into the Blackcountry every village has a different dialect!! :eek:)

M

Malcolm Bason

Hey Ron - you'll be okay going in to the Black Country mate! Just learn Brummie, and then as you step over the border just imagine yourself having to make yourself heard over the noise of the foundry's - you'll soon be singing as though you were from Dudley!!!

R

Ron Clay

Thanks guys. I always seem to have a problem understanding Des Taylor

D

David Will

How about catching a proper Roach out of a lake full of Hybrids?

P

Paul Williams

About as skillfull as the hybrids!! but you get luckier...:eek:)