HELP!! POLE ELASTIC

J

Jason Lennon

I have a 6m D.A.M Skipper XL whip, which has been elasticated before I aquired it.

Written on it is "2.5 Act"
I believe it means it is 2.5lbs test curve, but what does the "A" stand for? Accurate? Approximate?

MOST IMPORTANTLY, If it's 2.5lb test curve, what's the biggest elastic that it will handle?

AND with the max size elastic, would this pole be suitable for use as a margin pole for commercial carp venues??

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hmmmm, possibly 'action', but I seriously doubt it's 2.5lb test curve, that would put it in the carp rod catagory. I would go with the diametre of elastic which is already in it, when you want to change it take a piece with you to the tackle shop and see if you can match it up. If you can't find an exact match, I would scale down rather than up the way, if it's catching the fish your after just now then why alter it's action. I wouldn't think you should be using anything more than a 6 - 8 grade, preferably 4-6 as these poles are for light match style use.

J

Jason Lennon

why would they print a figure pertaining to the action?? if it does mean action, that raises the question - what units are they measuring it in? 2.5 what???

R

Rodney Wrestt

I'm not sure what the units are but I have a D.A.M. canal picker from about 15 years ago and it's marked with 'action', I can't remember the exact wording though. I guess it's to do with what's in vogue at the time, just as most modern mono is described in diametre instead of B/S now and floats are being marked in shot instead of styles.

R

Rodney Wrestt

the action was once given more credance than the T/C of a rod, for example a rod is described as through action, tip action etc.

J

Jason Lennon

maybe it means the top 2.5 sections is where the action all takes place! therefore tip actioned

J

Jason Lennon

No the Art number is printed further down the pole.

Went to my tackle shop and they couldnt make their minds up either!!
One thought it was to do with test curve and said that action and test curve were the same, so therefore it is 2.5lb test curve, and the older bloke thought it was just some form of model number.

Pity DAM went bust or I would ask them!!

J

Jason Lennon

over the weekend I wont be able to access fishingmagic - no computer at home, so any further comments, can you email me pls??? I'll be on WAP all weekend so I'll be able to check my email.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

There is no way it is a test curve.Art.No's are model numbers.Most whips of this length and type can cope with up to a No6 laccy when you cut the tip back to put a bush on dont be mean.fit a nice large bush so the laccy runs nicely.The amount of sections you run it through depends on the amount you have to cut back.A rough guide is have no less than two of the normal section lengths.A 6 laccy will allow you to catch silver fish but still have enough to cope with any bonus big fish you catch including small carp.Doubling up a foot or two of laccy at the bung end will also help. I wouldnt ever listen to any advice a tackle dealer who thought a whipp would have a test curve ever offered again!!

Just out of interest Shakespeare (many,many years ago)used to list the action(which incidently is totally different to Test Curve) on all of their rods.This system used letters to describe the action ie A tip actioned, B tip to middle and numbers too indicate casting weight(?) eg A120.Anyone else remember this?

Dave Mcadam

Reaction score
I've just bought my first pole and what I would like to know is ,how do you tell if you have the tension right for the elastic? Any help would be of great help, cheers Dave.

R

Rasmus Keis

the tension is right, when the elastic can pull the connector to the bung (and no more).

Get a copy of Bob Nudd?s Illustrated Guide to Pole Fishing. It will save you a lot of trouble (and money!)

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Dave,
if you get an adjusta bung you will be able to alter the tension to the species and venue on the day rather than being stuck with a set up that's too tight or soft.