line colour

C

Cakey

"The colour is a pale pinkish shade which should blend in with most gravel and sand lake and river beds."
pink and brown ,pink and green ,blends ?
am I missing something ?

C

Cakey

Refractive index
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The refractive index of a particular material at a particular frequency is the factor by which electromagnetic radiation of that frequency is slowed down (relative to vacuum) when it travels inside the material. For a non-magnetic material, the square of the refractive index is the dielectric constant ε (sometimes multiplied by ε0, the permittivity of free space).

The speed of all electromagnetic radiation in vacuum is the same, approximately 3*108 meters per second, and is denoted by c. So if v is the phase velocity of radiation of a specific frequency in a specific material, then the refractive index is given by

n = c/v.
This number is typically bigger than one: the denser the material, the more the light is slowed down. However, at certain frequencies (e.g. near absorption resonances, and for x-rays), n will actually be smaller than one. This does not contradict the theory of relativity, which holds that no information carrying signal can ever propagate faster than c, because the phase velocity is not the same as the group velocity or the signal velocity.

The phase velocity is defined as the rate at which the crests of the waveform propagate; that is, the rate at which the phase of the waveform is moving. The group velocity is the rate that the envelope of the waveform is propagating; that is, the rate of variation of the amplitude of the waveform. It is the group velocity that (almost always) represents the rate that information (and energy) may be transmitted by the wave, for example the velocity at which a pulse of light travels down an optical fibre.

Sometimes, a "group velocity refractive index", usually called the group index is defined:

ng = vg / c ,
where vg is the group velocity. This value should not be confused with n, which is always defined with respect to the phase velocity.

For frequencies corresponding to regions of anomalous dispersion in a material, it is possible for the group velocity vg to exceed the speed of light in a vacuum, c . While this would seem to indicate that superluminal communication is possible, in reality this is not so; in this case the information (or energy) of the light beam propagates at a rate known as the signal velocity:

vs = c2 / vg,
which is always less than c if vg > c.

On an atomic level, the slowing of light as it passes through a material may be considered as a continuous process of absorption and emission of photons as they interact with the atoms of the material. Between each atom, the photons travel at c, as in a vacuum. As they impinge on the atoms, they are absorbed and near-instantly re-emitted, creating a slight delay at each atom which (on a large enough scale) seems to be an overall reduction in the speed of the photons.

The absorption and emission process can be though of as the electric field of a photon creating an oscillating force on the charges of each atom (primarily the electrons). This oscillation of charges itself causes the radiation of an electromagnetic field, which is slightly out-of-phase compared to that of the original photon, leading to a slight retardation of the field and an apparent delay in the photon's travel.

Sometimes the refractive index is defined as a complex number, with the imaginary part of the number representing the absorption of the material. This is particularly useful when analysing the propagation of electromagnetic waves through metals.

If the refractive indices of two materials are known for a given frequency, then one can compute the angle by which radiation of that frequency will be refracted as it moves from the first into the second material from Snell's law.
ok learnt all the obove but it still = PINK

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Red frequencies of light, and that includes pink, begin to get absorbed by water at a depth of about two metres. Red (or pink) things begin to turn brown, and different shades of brown, especially light brown, will be quite a decent match to the bottom of many lakes, pits and rivers.

While Teklon Gold is only pinkish, Sufix Magic Touch is available in a strong pink colour, which was a deliberate choice by Sufix in order to take advantage of the fish possibly seeing pink as a light brown and therefore the line apparently blending more with the bottom of many rivers and lakes.

C

Cakey

But when is line ever on the bottom ?
tis why I fish with fluro blue.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Line is on the bottom whenever you use a backlead, and a lot of it is whenever you're not using heavy leads for bolt-rigging and/or not tight to the lead. Much of it is on the bottom in rivers when you allow a bow to form downsteam in fast water or when slack-lining in slack water.

But, I do think that line colour, main line that is, not hooklengths, is not such a big issue anyway and the best answer whenever it is, is to use a clear line, which is often my preference.

Otherwise you have a choice, choose a line that matches the colour of the bottom of the water you're fishing and fish a slack line or pin it down with a backlead, or fish a bright coloured line to deliberately warn fish that it's there so that they can avoid running into it.

I'm not much for that idea for I don't see much point in avoiding spooking fish that may touch the line, by risking spooking them with a line that they can see a 'mile' away. Like a lot of anglers I don't like backleads, but I'd rather backlead than not in some situations, or fish a slack line in others.

The whole issue about line colour becomes largely irellevant anyway in coloured water and at night, when a slack line or a backleaded line is usually best in a situation where a tight line just won't do.

R

Ron Clay

The more I fish, the more I gain confidence in the knowledge that a clear line is probably the best colour of all, especially if is has a refractive index as close to water as possible.

Hence the use of fluorocarbon.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Just to add another aspect to this thread, when braid has been used for a long period of time it looses the dye that it's coated with, this leaves a white/offwhite line. Ive read somewhere that American anglers recolour it with a marker pen, but not the way it's describes in the blurb that comes with the spool. They use inch long dashes in a kind of D.P.M. type camo meaning that while the fish can see a continuous length of one coloured line the dashes break this up and it'[s visibility is reduces, especially on the bottom where gravel is present.