Filling a centrepin with line

T

tom riordan

Can anyone give me a few tips on the correct filling of a centrepin reel, and which line do you recommend. I have looked on a few sites and some say fill the spool up after putting backing on the spool, others say put line direct onto the spool and only put enough line for practical use (they recommend 30mtres). Confusing me a bit, I thought I would go middle for diddle and put 100metres on, I usually fish with braid, will this cause any problems. btw the reel is a leeds classic.

K

Keith Hacking

Just one tip with braid.
put a swivel on the rig you are using or you will find the braid will wrap itself round the rod tip when you rebait etc.good stuff otherwise.As for filling i will let someone more experienced answer that one.i've about 100 mtrs on mine.

A

Alan Roe

The problem with putting too much line on is that you get bedding in which is annoying. The problem tends to be worse on caged drum reels of which the Leeds is one.
I normally recommend 50 yards of line as being about right.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

For trotting Alan is quite right.For bigger fish where you are not trotting sick on what you need.My preferences are for 30m trotting and 50-75m big fish.Oh I use a Leeds as well.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I use about 50m of mono on my C/P, I use Bayor Perlon or Team Diawa mono which are easy to keep on the surface. If you do go for braid then as well as watching out for it beding in you need to put on some mono backing as the braid will slip on the spool under pressure from a big fish, and if you get a snag don't try to pull for a break by pointing the rod at the snag and pulling or pulling the braid with your hand as you can buckle the spindle on the reel or slice open your hand, instead wrap the braid around a bankstick and use it to free the rig, and you don't need to wory as much about it springing back in the way mono does as it doesn't have that stretch which makes even a small lead springing free dangerous, but turn your head anyway better safe than sorry.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Surely all CP's in use to day are cage type drums? (Im obviously not talking about the antique user weirdo's!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Budgie,
I have a Shakespeare Aerial C/P which is only a few years old (I think they were limited and no longer produced) and it has a solid rather than caged drum.

T

Terry Wilkinson

I always have the line coming off the top of the drum, allowing the line to pass through the rod rings with the minimum of resistance. I can't understand those who have the line coming off the bottom of the drum. The line passing through the butt ring at an acute angle must surely be affected by friction. If this is the case would braid create even more friction on the butt ring as I understand it to be more abrasive than mono.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

I best shut the .....up then Rodders!But then I supose Shakespeare are a bit old fashioned! (lol)I too have the line comming off the top,IMO much better for trotting and easier to "batt" the reel for fast retrieve

I

IAN HOBKIRK

I would normally put 50 mtrs of line as the majority have said simply to stop the bedding in.

As for Terry,s comments i personally have my line coming off the bottom,the reason for thjs is i prefer to wind in a anti clock-wise direction with my left hand.

Being right handed,i also like to thumb the drum with my right hand when trotting in a downwards action as opposed to a upwards one.

I also batt the pin downwards away from the rod.To reel the float in.

I only use the center pin on my trotting rod because the angle from reel to ring isnt all that acute therfore nominal.

Just personal choice realy.

Hopes this makes sense.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Budgie,
Few of the recent C/P creations have the solid aluminium barstock construction, it's strange this one uses it as the least weight possible is obviously an advantage where trotting is concerned, I would have thought it obvious to use designs of the type you mentioned with the caged drum.

I also have the line coming off the top of the reel, I feel it's more direct for the line exiting the pin.

A

Alan Roe

The Browning Revolver has a solid drum and it's one of the finest most practical pins ever made the solid drum assists long casts with virtually no fear of bedding in. For that reason it is the reel I use most for my casting demonstrations and all round angling. I was that happy with mine I had a spare spool made for heavier lines.
If you want to be able to wallis cast you will need to have the line coming off the bottom of the drum.

T

tom riordan

Thanks everyone for your informative replies, I have been working in brighton all week so I was surprised to see so much input, I am going to go for 50 metres of braid over a mono backing. I wind with my left hand so I will try ian hobkirks method with the line coming of the bottom of the reel. Pretty daunting stuff this trotting lark, I am going to have a go on the trent sunday morning, I know a nice swim full of roach and chub. I will let you know how I get on later in the week.

A

Alan Roe

Budgie sorry for the delay in responding I have been on holiday.
Drop me an email with a contact number and we can meet up and I will show you why the line should come off the bottom of the spool for Wallis casting it will be much easier that trying to put together a long winded explanation. However the nature of the cast which is dependant on using an expanding loop to set the spool of the reel running does need the line to come off the bottom of the spool.

B

Budgie Burgess

Sorry my cat has just decided to post!
Alan I cast by pulling on a loop(s) to start the pin turning as well.I always thought I was doing a "Wallis"cast.The only problem I found was the line wrapping around the reel foot(some times)I found that fitting a line guard solved this.You have intrigued me.When I am in the country with some time spare I must take you up on your offer.

R

Rodney Wrestt

LOL,
Your cat makes as much sense as the much missed Monk Budgie :eek:)

A

Alan Roe

Budgie I would be delighted to make good the offer and combine it with a days fishing