cooking in bivvy`s , a no no.

kevin brooks

Reaction score
Just read the article on buying bivvy`s and was a bit surprised to see among the list of thing`s to consider "Does it have good ventilation so i can cook and brew inside". Sorry but i think any one who cooks or indeed uses any kind of stove inside a bivvy is mad , just ask yourself what you would do if the stove had any kind of problem and caught fire! i have actually seen this happen and believe me the sight of an angler with huge lumps of molten nylon (the most popular material for making bivvy`s and very flammable) sticking to his face and hands is not a pretty site think about it!!.

NOTE FROM GRAHAM: Kevin's point was taken on board and the reference to in-bivvy cooking removed.

L

Les Clark

Year`s ago,a lot of angler`s used to use polyethene sheeting over a brolly,and use a stove inside,it made me crindge.

kevin brooks

Reaction score
Hello les, yeah this chap i saw was badly burnt, hair gone, eyelashes, skin, he even had the shape of his shirt zipper branded into his skin on his chest. it was a calor stove and the cylinder had been leeking overnight and filled the bivvy with gas so when he went to brew up first thing the gas ignited and turned the biv into a fireball, it was terrible mate, since then i dont even keep my coleman inside overnight it stay out in the porch in its plastic case until i am gonna use it and when its cooled down it goes straight back in the case.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I have to agree with you but anglers do cook in bivvies all the time when the weather is against cooking outside, even in the porch area, so I thought it necessary to make good ventilation something to consider.

kevin brooks

Reaction score
Hello , yes mate it is a fact of life that anglers do it, and probably allways will because of the "it`ll never happen to me " syndrome that a lot of people have, we all know that doing certain things can be dangerous but it does`nt stop us does it.

D

Dave Slater

I have never cooked in a bivvy. If it rains I just have to make do with biscuits. I would rather be hungry than dead.

kevin brooks

Reaction score
Well put Dave , i have tried in the past to drop subtle hints to people i know and have seen doing it but it usually gets laughed off or i get the "Well i`ve been doing it for years and never had a problem" type of reply.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think you're making some good points about this. I'll delete the reference to in-bivvy cooking from the guide and play it safe.

Thanks for the feedback.

kevin brooks

Reaction score
Thanks for your time Graham, i did`nt mean to jump on any soap boxes but it really was a horrible thing to see and if i can spare anyone that kind of horror i will.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Not a problem. Never let anybody say I don't listen!

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Always been to big for my bivvies so never got into the habit of cooking in them.Even in rain Ive just sat in the bivvy and had the cooker outside.Makes me cringe when despite all the publicity you still see people asleep in their bivvies in the winter with the cooker on to keep em warm!!

kevin brooks

Reaction score
Yes, mate it`s exactly that sort of thing that scares me it`s just so bloody risky, people could easily be badly hurt just for that little bit of extra warmth, which in most cases is just illusion anyway.

D

Dave O'L

Years ago when camping there it was always one of those golden rules that was quoted, never cook in a tent, or light a fart.

The other golden rule was don't play with youself in a tent with the light behind you.

I think this sort of thing fits in with people who fish under pylons, carbon rods (or any) in thunderstorms.
Bit like the golfers I used to see playing when lightning all around just cos they paid for a ticket & didn't want to loose out.

What do you mean "Never let anybody say I don't listen" Graham?
You obviously weren't listening when I asked you to let me win the last competition? :)

S

Stu Black

5 years ago i was dragged out of a burning house, fortunately with nothing worse than a terrible cough. Since then I have a huge terror of fire. Cigarettes are put out with water where ever possible for instance. Cooking, or any naked flame within 2-3 metres of my bivvy is a definite NO for me.

saying that I fished under a pylon this evening, lying flat to the floor tho

D

Dave O'L

When a student, the shop below caught fire (after the elec board put in a new meter, idiots).
We only just got out. It's true what they say about smoke, you become completely disorientated.

Feel a bit like you do Stu, especially after 2 years ago when house across the road completely burnt down in 15 mins.

Big tip always leave something near the door you can put on. It kind of helps so you don't have to stand there naked while the neighbours come out to watch your flat burn!

S

Stu Black

i was actually unconscious when I was pulled out and naked as well, definitely not a good situation to be in!

kevin brooks

Reaction score
I am really pleased that this thread has actually got a reaction. In all honesty i don`t think you will ever stop people cooking in bivvy`s, but the final decision has to be up to them lets hope they make the right one.

D

Dave Rothery

carbon monoxide poisoning is probably a bigger danger when using a burner for warmth with the door down. been a few people go like that.

A

alan outen

i thought i was the only one!
pepole take the p!!s out of me when i go camping as i take two lights a gas one for out side and a electric one for in the tent. canvas and nylon burn so quickly that if it did catch alight the chances are you wont get out alive.

D

Dave O'L

Let them take the p!!s Alan as they will need all the fluid they can get when they catch light!