Where and what is

W

Wendy Perry

Hi guys i need some help here ok, i'm doing the fishathon that is happenin this month all over the country for the Prostate-Cancer charity. Which is being hosted by Chris Tarrant and to get to the final you have to catch a specimen fish and pledge a min of ?20 . I did a childrens face painting day last week and raised ?100 for it so i've sent the cheque of for that, but that won't get me into the final i need a specimen fish, what is a specimen fish ??? I have to catch one before 26th August and send my picture in can any of you lot gonna help me out here pretty plz :) . I so wanna get to this final.

R

Ron Clay

That barbel you have in your hands is a specimen Wendy.

Basically any species of fish that is mature and is a perfect specimen of it's species. It is not necessary a very heavy fish either.

Well that's what I believe and I'm sticking to it.

W

Wendy Perry

yeah but Ron i think i have to have caught the fish in August of this month and it'd be cheating if a sent that in.....Plus i have long hair now LOL. There is only 70 places in the final and i should imagine there will be alot of people goin for it . It's also being televised the final.

D

Dave Slater

Hi Wendy,
Was your 20lb carp caught in August? That would count as a specimen fish in my book.

L

Les Clark

Wendy,Dave`s right,plus it wasn`t caught on carp gear,if i`m right,which make`s it that bit more "specimen",if you see what I mean.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

yeah Wendy go for it with your carp ......

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wendy,

I'd go with Ron's definition, although to me a "specimen" is more defined by its relative size/appearance to the best that is available in a particular venue.

So, if a water has say Roach up to 2lbs., then a 1?lb. fish could be considered a specimen for that venue.

Generally speaking though a 20lb. Carp is considerd a "specimen" wherever you fish.

Good luck with the entry and the final should you make it.

W

Wendy Perry

Yeah i sent my Carp pic in this morning bcoz my tackle shop guy said he thought anything 20lb and over in Carp was a specimen i'm also gonna send the pic of the barble picture as well so wish me luck hey.

You'll have to look out in AT on 2nd Sept thats the date they are gonna print who's in Final and i'll just sit with everything crossed till then heheheh :)

L

Les Clark

Good luck mate,and I will make sure I get a copy,not everything crossed,that`s a long time for a pee!

R

Ron Clay

Good luck Wendy and I'll be watching.

Just remember that the biggest fish are not necessarily the best specimens.

How would you compare a big fat obese pot bellied slob or a Sumo wrestler with Arnie in his prime.

W

Wendy Perry

Stu Dennis and Big Rik hahahah

Ron i'll let ya know how i get on i'm still gonna try to get another specimen this week tho.