All Nighter

I

IAN HOBKIRK

I have just purchased a bivvy brollie and intend on doing a couple of all nighters on the Tidal Trent.

Can anybody give me any help on the dos and donts of fishing at night.

I have got pretty basic knowledge,and this is my first attempt at it, hopefully not my last.

The advice Kevin Brooks came up with is the one to heed i shall take note.

R

Ron Clay

It depends where you are fishing.

If you are fishing on the Tidal, as you are aware, the banks can be awful so you must take note of any obstructions that you could run into when it is dark.

Wear a head torch especially when you are playing a fish alone. The light doesn't scare the fish off at all. That's an old myth and your safety comes before any fish. In fact I have a tendency to believe that lights actually attract some species of fish.

On the Tidal Trent --- DON'T GO TO SLEEP!!

If you are awakened by a bite you just might fall in!!

Get a set of tide tables. There are some pretty big tides coming up in the next 2 months.

Sit well back from the river.

DON'T drink anything alcoholic. You need ALL your wits about you when you hook a double in the dark.

Preferably fish with a friend. Not with Barney though, he chucks into your swim..:eek:)

L

Les Clark

Get your bearing`s right while it`s light,i.e. oak tree,left far bank,ect,plus bivie up,far from the bank as you can,becouse if you have to dive out in the middle of the night,half asleep you may be disorientated,and you don`t want to end up in the trent.

I

IAN HOBKIRK

Theres more to this night fishing than meets the eye, some very useful hints.
indeed keep em coming.

Got one for you Ron get 4 spears(poles)stick them into the ground one at each corner of the car, and fasten a rope around them penning the car in the cows will walk around them.

R

Ron Clay

Ian, that is the best advice I have had for a long time for Trent barbellers.

After all you don't want to lose your no-claims bonus.

I would love to read a claims form for cow attack.

S

Stu Black

fred its happened to me twice in the past 3 years, company car at the time so I said it happened in a supermarket carpark. Now i run my own car I might just be trying Ian's idea of fencing it off

J

john conway

Spare battery and bulb for your head lamp, and know how to change them in the dark, or carry a small back-up torch.
Even in the summer it gets cold in the evening and if the river raise a mist it gets damp, make sure you got enough clothes to keep you warm.
If your barbel fishing make up a few sets of hook lengths for quick changes.
Don’t strike at bat bites if you are fishing with your rods beech-caster style.
If it’s tidal, remember where you land your fish in the daylight may not be where you’ll land them in the dark when the tide comes in or out.
Make sure everything is at hand before it goes dark.
If you take a mobile phone make sure it works form where your fishing and that you have a full battery. Not much you can do if it doesn’t but at least you know to be a bit more careful.
If you are on your own make sure someone knows where your going and if you change your mind make sure they also know what you are likely to be doing. If it’s the wife write it down if it’s not some where you normally go. Has she got your mates telephone numbers? Don’t forget to let them know your back safe and sound. Not normally a problem if your married or living with someone.

I

IAN HOBKIRK

Thanks John,
Some more sound advice its going to take some remebering but ill get there.

If a heavy mist does come over the river how do i know where to cast, having no land marks to aim to?

I would definetly give the fence idea a try,guys seen it done and it works.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You don't need to put breaks (<br>) in your messages lads, just one or more clicks of the 'enter' key will do it.

J

john conway

For direction make a couple of marks on the ground in the daylight, then always stand in the same position, almost like standing in your foot prints every time you cast. Can’t use line clips for barbel so for distance use a power gum stop knot on your line. If you are reasonably confident of your distance you could double up with a PVA sock of pellets clipped to your weight. Make sure your bomb or feeder is fixed to your line with a snap link for quick change overs. I’ve not fished a strong tidal river, but I would thick that you may have to change your weight if the tides running very strong. Advice from Ron?

S

Sascha Welsch

I prefer a chair, brolly and plenty of sleep before I fish a Trent all-nighter Ian. As Ron says much of the Tidal has dangerous banks and I'd prefer to be fully aware of everything around me.

Plenty of food and drink or like me, take a small stove for fresh cups of tea and food (just remember to click the baitrunners on or bring the rods in when you do this as takes can be violent!!

Also, it can get cold on an overnighter, especially when you've not slept much and dawn is nearing even in summer, so take plenty of warm, spare clothing.

Most of the decent Tidal Trent swims I've fished are near bank swims so you shouldn't have too many problems finding the right distance/direction as it usually only requires a 15yd cast max.

And lastly, try not to drive too far after a no sleep all nighter because it's the ideal recipe for falling asleep at the wheel.

I

IAN HOBKIRK

Clever idea John ill put that into practice when i go fishing on friday.
Like the idea of the power gum ,accurate casting every time.
Cheers Ian

I

IAN HOBKIRK

Good points Sascha keeping your belly full and your body warm helps to keep you more alert.