Hello from France

nigefrance

Reaction score
Hi all
What a great site, looking forward to gaining lots of info and tips here - what a great resource.
Originally from the Staffordshire Moorlands I worked in SW France and then after redundancy/retirement decided to stay.
There is so much cheap fishing here its unbelievable, 85 euros a year buys a ticket covering almost all the rivers and state owned waters eg resers, irrigation lakes etc. There are many tackle shops but out on the water, its rare to see another fisherman. Big problem for me is gaining local knowledge particularly with so few anglers. Basically it's a case of working it all out yourself which is great if you already have the knowledge but a slow slog for us novices.
Looking forward to using this forum to help the knowledge process.
If anyone wants any info on different areas of SW France, permits, general travel etc just ask.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FM.

I work in Paris during the week and am always amazed to see quite a few anglers on the banks of the Seine within the City limits.

I wonder how many of our regular contributors would like to pay 85 euros for their annual licence . . . . .

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
A very warm welcome, Nige. Perhaps not quite as warm as you're used to, but best we can do in Britain, I'm afraid.

I wonder how many of our regular contributors would like to pay 85 euros for their annual licence . . . .
Yes but that does ENTITLE him to some fishing, the GB licence is just to hold a rod even in your own front garden.

So what rivers do you fish, Nige?

nigefrance

Reaction score
Hi Jeff
The main biggies are the Lot, Garonne and the Dordogne but there are many smaller "Dane" size rivers I'm itching to try. The biggies are daunting to say the least particularly at this time of year but from what I hear the Lot in particular is good for Barbel which I'll be trying soon.

Reaction score
Hi Nige,

Welcome to the family! Which bit of South West France are you in? Regularly holiday there with the fishing gear until last year the Eurozone forced me to look elsewhere (Bulgaria) . Fished the Lot in a number of places and also the Adour.

Poshers

Rickrod

Reaction score
Hello Nige and welcome to fm .Lovely part of the world to live south west france,ive done a bit of fishing down that way myself

nigefrance

Reaction score
Hi poshpaul, I live near Bergerac and about 10 kms from all three big rivers here in the SW. Dordogne, Lot and Garonne. Can you recall where you fished the Adour? I had a look at the Adour on a non fishing day out at a place called Adour sur Aire, looks really interesting and allow night fishing along the town stretch.

Cakey

Reaction score
hello mate welcome to FM
Ive fished the Dordogne at Bergerac many many moons ago for the carp
we stayed at a municipal campsite on the south bank in the town centre called Pelouse and dead opposite was a huge island which seemed to hold the carp.
it was very fast sometimes and needed up to 6ozs of lead to hold bottom but there was some big carp to be had.
last time there on the way to lac de Leon I was told that the french travellers had eaten most of the carp but huge cats had taken over.

nigefrance

Reaction score
hello mate welcome to FM
Ive fished the Dordogne at Bergerac many many moons ago for the carp
we stayed at a municipal campsite on the south bank in the town centre called Pelouse and dead opposite was a huge island which seemed to hold the carp.
it was very fast sometimes and needed up to 6ozs of lead to hold bottom but there was some big carp to be had.
last time there on the way to lac de Leon I was told that the french travellers had eaten most of the carp but huge cats had taken over.
Thanks for your messages. Dordogne in Bergerac still good for Carp and scary sized catfish or silure in the Lot but haven't the gear to tackle those yet. It's a problem the French eating almost everything they catch but signs that attitudes are changing with more and more French fisherman in for the sport and not their bellies! Only recently I was speaking with an old guy on the Garonne as he was packing away his gear. Surprised he had a keepnet full of mixed course fish, often they just chuck them in their basket. Without batting an eyel he then just got out a carrierbag, tipped them all in and walked off, sickening! Also my local lake stocks Zander on the same basis as many UK trout fisheries, the locals think I'm nuts when I put them back.
Geof is Lac de Leon worth a visit?

Rickrod

Reaction score
Ive seen some huge chub in the river tarn at a place called st rome de tarn,stunning place further south in languedoc there a river called l'herault which has plenty of carp grass carp cats,big chub tench bream perch black bass barbel roach zander and some pike,oh and big crucians It seems odd trotting and catching crucians.If you fancy some big carp then theres lac salagou its also got big bream tench and big roach.And most of all theres plenty of sunshine.

Steve Appleford

Reaction score
Hi all joined a couple of years ago but not got round to posting so far ,Righto here goes we stayed at a campsite at Millau right on the banks of the river Tarn a few years ago on the way to the lower Ebro and saw some massive Chub or at least what i took to be Chub in the river .
Many big dark shapes as well that i took to be Carp and speaking to the locals most species are in the river ,Higher up the Gorge du Tarn is stunning and the bridge at Millau is worth the drive alone how did they do that!!!! .
Drove around a bit whilst staying there and just didn't see anyone fishing ,Sounds like you have loads of good waters close by Steve.