Vintage FIshing Tackle

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
Hi again all,

I was just wondering if there is anybody out there that has a collection of vintage tackle. Now call me sad ( await hello sad posts..... ) but I have been collecting old gear for a few years now. I get a great deal of pleasure looking up at a shelf full of aerials some in mint condition others in boxes etc. Does anybody have a collection not just of reels but of lures / rods etc. If so I am always looking to buy or swap items. Let me know.

R

Richard Drayson

Hi Kevan.

I'm not a great fan of vintage tackle but I do admire some of the craftsmanship that was used to make, not only reels, but rods as well.

I do own and use a Speedia centrepin reel though and also have a small collection of old plugs and spinners which I never use now. Examples include Heddon and South Bend.

For anyone interested, there is a vintage tackle fair in Romsey, Hants on Sunday 5th October.

I

IAN HOBKIRK

How much would you give for a Gregory lure with his name stamped on it Kevan?
Not for sale by the way just qurious.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Kevan,
I have a modest collection of cane rods and centrepins as well as a few lures and other accessories, but none for sale.

I have been meaning to put some decent pictures onto my web site for a long while, maybe on my September trip I'll find the time to take some worthy pictures.

Richard,
Why do "they" never seem to schedule vintage tackle fairs for the times when I am back in the UK.
Any information on similar events either between Sept 10th and Sept 22nd would be appreciated,

Alternatively, anything planned for November would be helpful in planning my next trip.

R

Ron Clay

I love to look at old tackle. I am old enough to remember silkworm gut hooklengths, Allcock's Model Perfect Hooks, Rods made from cane and greenheart, Starback wooden centrepin reels and of course, floats, handmade from bird quills and porcupine quills.

Of course I owned Mk IV Carp and Avon rods by B. James as well as my beloved Kennet Perfection and various fly rods by Hardys, Sharps and Martin James.

One of the most incredible examples I had of pure craftsmanship was a 12 foot spliced Spanish reed, cane and split cane "Sheffield Style" roach rod made by Joe Emmens of Sheffield. **** Walker owned the sister to this rod and caught his biggest ever roach, a fish of 3lbs 4oz from the Hertfordshire Bean on it.

Oh happy memories.

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
Ian,

Although not too hot on lure values I think that I am right in saying that 3 Gregory lures have gone through eBay in the last few months. They have reached in excess of $600 each. OK these were the 'spinning vane' type, very very rare indeed. I am sure that if you have a 'normal' Gregory then it would fetch over ?150 at auction.

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
Peter,

What sort of pictures are you looking for for your website, tackle or fish caught on vintage gear?.

Ron,

Whilst I own a far amount of Hardy / James / Allcocks / Farlows rods and reels etc, I only use up to date tackle with the exception of an Allcocks aerial. You simply can not beat one of these for trotting a stick down a swim, unbeatable.

The memories are great of what this sort of tackle used to catch. Not suer I can see **** Walker asleep in his bivvy behind a 4 rod set up waiting for his Fox micron to scream away, but then again....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Kevan,

I am planning on developing the website pages with pictures of some of my tackle as well as some information on fishing on the lower Avon.
There are already some decent pictures of the cottage and the surrounding area.

If you'd like the URL then e-mail me at ExpatPJ@aol.com

R

Richard Drayson

Hmmm... so Peter wants to show pictures of his tackle on his website!!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Richard, I hadn't thought about it in *that* way, but then - if you got - flaunt it I suppose.

Further thoughts, I could then populate the site with all those annoying pop-ups and even have a "members" area where I can charge exorbitant monthly rates.

I may even then be able to retire and spend all my time catching all those lovely Roach from the venue you so kindly told me about. LOL

Second thoughts, I'll simply include pictures of things like Lesney Bait Presses, Split cane Swing Tips and antique rod rests.