Quick response needed!!

J

Jason Lennon

I have created a boot disk(floppy) to start my computer in ms-dos mode.
I need to re-format the hard drive and start over, but need to access the cdrom from ms-dos to re-install windows xp-pro, as I wont have any driver files once the hard drive has been reformatted.
I presume I can make an autoexec.bat and config.sys file to load the driver in from the floppy disk, but I've forgotten the command line to enter.
Can someone please tell me how to do it?????? Need a response A.S.A.P please guys.......

J

Jack Pike

Jason you dont need a boot disk to load XP it will run straight form the cd rom

R

Rodney Wrestt

Can't you use the restore function rather that reformating.....you did back up the system didn't you ??? if not, as J.P. says xp uses a bootable cd.

Gary Whatmore

Reaction score
Jason Put XP cd in close the window down when it opens
restart P.c.When post go to boot options and then boot from cd rom drive that corresponds with yours.
Install new copy XP confirm and ignore warnings about boot record and then delete partition and install Xp do not use quick format do complete.. Regards gazza Any probs
Gazzasan@hotmail.com Messenger :)

J

Jason Lennon

Its a stupid computer that doesnt recognise XP-Pro Cdrom as a bootable cdrom.
It works fine on other pc's - Just not this one for some reason!!! Otherwise I wouldnt be messing with making boot disks.
Only way you can start XP-Pro setup is via ms-dos prompt. That's why I made a floppy boot disk to start pc in msdos mode. Just need to figure out how to include on the boot disk, cdrom drivers, and how to get the pc to recognise drive D(cdrom drive).

Will need this as The hard disk will be formatted, therefore the config info must all be on floppy.

A

anthony williams

if your computer will not boot from a cd rom you can sometimes change the settings in your bios to make it so your computer will boot from cd rom.

S

Stuart Bullard

......blimey, my whole working life has been spent selling IT / Software, and I haven't understood one word of the above!