sheringham

cormorant

Reaction score
recently watched a rerun of a passion for angling, chris yates was reading an excerpt from one of sheringhams books on anglers luck anyone know which book?

cormorant

Reaction score
There's a story called 'A Run of Luck' in 'An Open Creel'.

What's the quote?
something a lon g these lines, touching wood with your forefinger, throwing salt over your shoulder, getting aqainted with a black cat, something to do with an old lady etc

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
The quote is from Sheringham's book Coarse Fishing, in the chapter on Carp and Tench.

''For some men I admit the usefulness of skill and pertinacity; for myself, I take my stand entirely on luck. To the novice I would say: Cultivate your luck. Prop it up with omens and signs of good purport. Watch for the Magpies on your path. Form the habit of avoiding old women who squint. Throw salt over your left shoulder. Touch wood with the forefinger of your right hand whenever you are not doing anything else. Be on friendly terms with a black cat. Turn your money under the new moon. Walk round ladders. Don't start on a Friday. Stir the materials for Christmas puddings, and wish. Perform all other such rites as you know or hear of. These things are important in Carp fishing''. Date- 1912.

Illustrates clearly I think the difficulty those old timers attributed to Carp fishing.

cormorant

Reaction score
The quote is from Sheringham's book Coarse Fishing, in the chapter on Carp and Tench.

''For some men I admit the usefulness of skill and pertinacity; for myself, I take my stand entirely on luck. To the novice I would say: Cultivate your luck. Prop it up with omens and signs of good purport. Watch for the Magpies on your path. Form the habit of avoiding old women who squint. Throw salt over your left shoulder. Touch wood with the forefinger of your right hand whenever you are not doing anything else. Be on friendly terms with a black cat. Turn your money under the new moon. Walk round ladders. Don't start on a Friday. Stir the materials for Christmas puddings, and wish. Perform all other such rites as you know or hear of. These things are important in Carp fishing''. Date- 1912.

Illustrates clearly I think the difficulty those old timers attributed to Carp fishing.
thats the one thanks

frippe

Reaction score
isn't he reading the quote just as he gets a run?

Love Passion for angling, remember watching the redmire episode as a wee teenager, must have worn out the vhs we watched it that many times.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
They showed them all again last week, rather early at 7am. The series has never palled for me. I still love it as much as when I first saw it.

Like knowing a good woman, I just keep finding new delights in it.

I do wish Sky or Discovery, whomever created the 'blue index page' 'write ups' would get their act together, though. They always get the episodes wrong and have done for years, so you never know which they are actually showing, even though those write ups have all been re-written.

Lazy shower !

Sadly, like the best days carp fishing I ever had at a total of 16 in the net, you almost know anything else in the future is going to disappoint. You've seen the very best ...had the best days sport imaginable, and anything else is just not going to compare with it.

Perhaps I'm just getting old and morose?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Cormorant.....if you have not read any of Sheringhams books,or at least a reprint then you really are missing a treat.Not easy to get as even the reprints are expensive!

I have a book'An angler For All Seasons'which is a'best of Sheringham'type of book but worth a read.I read mine once a year and never tire of his style and humour.This book can be found and its by Merlin Books........

I'd pay big money for some of his original works but very difficult to find...

Sadly he died in his early 50's and I believe suffered from depression.

'A passion'-just the best around-I love it!!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Sheringham's books can be found if you know where to look and are prepared to pay the price. I've got three originals (Coarse Fishing, Elements and Trout Fishing), three reprints (An Open Creel, An Angler's Hours, Fly Rod one) plus the anthology mentioned above. The Medlar reprints are expensive but nice to have and the most I paid was £68 for Coarse Fishing. Fantastic writing.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fantastic writing, indeed - apparently effortless, without any painful straining to impress....

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My word, some bright spark, possibly having seen this thread, today posted something about the peerless H.T.S. on another forum -

Sheringham online... - General - PurePiscator

Do a bit of clicking on the University of California pages linked and you can download pdf files of An Anglers Hours, Elements of Angling, An Open Creel..........

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Mark & Paul......thanks for that info-as a pensioner these books are pricey(pdf's are okay but not the same as having the book to enjoy time after time)but I think,at my age I deserve the occasional treat.........Yes! I have just about convinced myself!!

Regarding'Passion'.....I often wonder if the private lake where'Harry the Carp'lived(or lives)is still preserved-such a beautiful place untouched by time or tramping feet.....or so it sems!

Redmire also looks wonderful-I've only seen it in the winter months..........

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
There is an anthology available on Amazon; on my wish list but never got around to it:

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Angler-All-Seasons-Best-H-T-Sheringham/dp/187367404X/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1G1KG8L0FEAQY&colid=3VJXHUOUFKFVS]An Angler for All Seasons: The Best of H.T.Sheringham: Amazon.co.uk: Hugh Tempest Sheringham, Tom Fort: Books[/ame]