carp rigs

S

Stu Jones

I have long contemplated ( and I emphasize contemplated ) using a small treble hook with a hair when fishing for carp. When i say small I mean about a size 12 or 14, not sure if they can be bought this size though. I have never seen this mentionned and I was wondering why? Surely this would solve all rig problems of the fish not being pricked when trying to eject the bait. Is it on purely ethical reasons why we do not do this? If so, why do we not have a problem in putting a treble into a pikes mouth? The more i think about it the less of a problem i have with the idea. Some-one will quite rightly mention damage to the fish's mouth and do not get me wrong i would not want to see the fish suffer unnecessarily just so i can bank it. But thinking about it logically it would be likely that only one of the points on a treble would find a hold. i was wondering what other members make of this idea.

S

Stu Jones

Having re-read the above i would like to point out that i haven't actually tried this. It is more of a theoretical question. I wouldn't want some one to get the wrong idea as i have only joined as a member tonight!

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

When I served with the Army out in Germany during the 80's the local anglers used treble hooks for carp.They were very far behind UK carpers in those days.They used there trebles with potatoes and bread baits.They were in fairness size 8 and above trebles not the smaller ones you are considering.I saw some carp landed (normaly just beached!) that did not have any mouth damage but plenty of others that were damaged.Most German carp in those days were only caught once! I would not think there would be much mouth left on a carp caught several times on a treble to have much left too damage. In the forties and fifties trebles (and wire for that matter) were often used for carp in this country.They are not anymore! Nothing new with your idea Stu,been tried before and given up as a bad job.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'll second that, using trebles for carp is not a good idea - too much potential for damage and unnecessary anyway.

D

Dave Rothery

as we're on the subject of controversial rigs, what about using two hook rigs for carp like some bream anglers do? its been done before, something like a pop up on one and a bottom on the other. might sort out the "educated" fish? ethics is a problem, but then are 5oz leads with short hoolinks ethical?

C

Cakey

Ive seen this one argued before,two 30lb carp taking the baits at the same time.

S

Stuart Bullard

Trebles for carp.......nah. Two hook rigs, IMHO should be banned. Too much scope for potential damage etc.

Just to add to the debate. I had two carp at he weekend, bot 15lb. One caught on barbed, one barbless.

My observation was that the barbless hook did much more damage, where as the barbed hook had little damage, if any.

I

ian jay

In the czech Republic, where 99% of course anglers fish for Carp (because they eat them), you are allowed to use one double hook, or 2 single hooks. Most use 2 singles, but I prefer one. My reason is that I believe it better to present one well presented bait.