It looks

• Thread starter Ron (Rontroversial) Clay
  • Start date
D

Dave Slater

I would't think they would need to Ron. They would get in from the Thames. I used to catch plenty of barbel, chub and roach from around the area when I lived there.

W

Wolfman Woody

No stocking of any fish will take place, only what gets washed through when the sluices fully open. Some of us would like to see a few larger bream introduced if only to provide a good breeding stock. Yes some anglers do want to see bream, but not carp under any circumstances. It's about time we got back to pure river fishing.

John Burroughs

Reaction score
Its about time the tunnel vision Carp Anglers of this world gave a more thought to the bread and butter Anglers that far out weigh the Carp fraternity.
The commercial fisheries are taking more and more Anglers and revenue away from the Clubs which are struggling to survive on rivers that seem to have fewer and fewer fish in them, a prime example of this is the River Arun in West Sussex , once a prolific venue for all species (including Carp ) but with years of pollution and bank alterations to curb flooding , we at Billingshurst A.S. are now having to pay higher membership costs each year for ever decreasing members and catches, i am sure you will agree these two go hand in hand.Also remember that not everyone likes to fish the pole and for that matter still waters.i would love to see the Arun re-stocked with Bream , but how and when ???

T

Tony Myatt

Jeff,

What harm would a FEW carp do then Jeff? after all they?ve been in the Thames a couple of hundred years already.

Tony

L

Les Clark

John,I dont think it`s the carp angler`s that have tunnel vision,it`s the management on a lot of water`s,I.E.carp= money.
I have no problem fishing along side,tench,bream,roach angler`s.
More water`s are being taken over for carp,simply becouse the high price for membership and day ticket.

D

Dave Slater

Tony,
Jeff says only what gets washed through the sluices. From what I can remember when I lived in that area this should mainly consist of chub, roach and barbel i.e. proper river species. There used to be a few carp and tench in this area so possibly some of these may appear. From experiences on the rivers I now fish I do not think introducing bream, or carp for that matter, that are not already there is a good idea. They are aggressive feeders and breed profusely, eventually outnumbering the proper river species. If people want to fish for carp and bream, as I do occasionally, there are plenty of good stillwaters without ruining rivers.

T

Tony Myatt

Dave,
Carp obviously are not indigenous to the Thames but I would confidentaly assume that bream are. I am suprised that you didn?t catch more bream when barbelling as in my experience on the Thames the two are never that far apart. Where I live (Twickenham) there are plenty of Carp in the river stocked from amongst other places Gunnersbury Park, Kew Gardens and various waters from where TAPS acquiried them. I would not say that they have had an adverse effect on the fishing although it has changed over the last 20 years or so. What determines ?a proper river species?? Carp are surely native to some continental river systems. Working along those lines are chub a proper stillwater species? I agree let the fish colonise the Jubilee river in their own time, but if a few carp found their way in I dont?t think it would do any harm.

T

Tony Myatt

Dave,
Bream, surely they are indigenous to the Thames? I?m suprised that you didn?t get many whilst barbelling as in my experience on the Lower Thames the two are usually in quite close proximity. Lots of carp in my local stretch of the Thames (Richmond/Twickenham) stocked from many waters over the years. (Kew Gardens, Gunnersbury Park and the various waters TAPS had access to...). As far as I can see they have had no detrimental effect on the fishing. Whilst they might not be a ?proper river species? in the UK are they not native to some continental river systems or were they all stocked? Following that line, are chub a proper stillwater species? I agree let the fish colonise the Jubilee at their own pace, without the ?help? of EA stockings but if a few carp did end up in there I don?t think it would be a disaster.

D

Dave Slater

Tony,
When I lived near the Thames there were never many bream in the stretches I did most of my fishing on, i.e. the stretches near the new Jubilee stretch. I agree they have always been plentiful lower down river on the areas you fish. Also further upriver. They just never seemed to be around in my local area. Perhaps things are different now ? I haven't fished there for many years but friends in the Chub Study Group who live in the area never mention them.

D

David Marrs

An excellent article Jeff! Just like the rivers and drains of Fenland, the Zander should also get through the sluices etc and colonise this new river.

T

Tony Myatt

Dave,
It suprises me what you?ve said about the Bream in that neck of the woods. I assumed they were there in the same numbers as the rest of the Thames. I shall bow to you and your mates greater knowledge. To the other Dave, loads of Zander in the Thames from Sunbury down, my mates reckon they taste crap though.

W

Wolfman Woody

If you speak to fisheries officers with the EA you would discover that the overall biomass (weight of fish) if the Thames has risen significantly over the past ten years. This has been largely due to the growth of carp or put another way, one 20lb carp is worth up to 40x8oz roach. No doubt that one or two might get into this new river in good time, but it's not what our member clubs want right now.

Good bream and roach catches are more likely to be the order of the day. If they want to catch carp, whether by pole-bagging or the BBB (Bivvy, Bolt-rig, Boilie) methods there are umpteen carp lakes and glory holes in the area that anglers can fish. Why not just have a river as a river?

I am great fan of barbel, but I don't want them stocked in there particularly. Same with Zander, we don't have them in the immediate area, but doubtless they will invade at some future time. It will be interesting to see how it develops, but I think that this new river will be a great bream river exactly like the Fenland drains.

Anyone wanting good bream catches now can enjoy some nightime sport on the main Thames at Marlow, Maidenhead and Windsor. Frank Gutfield, who hates bream normally, is interested since some are coming up in double figures and overall catches can be well over 100lbs per session.

D

Dave Slater

Jeff,
It sounds like the Thames in that area has changed greatly since I fished it. The sort of bream catches you are talking about would certainly interest me, even though I am not usually a great fan of bream. Big river bream fight very well, unlike their stillwater cousins. I have been told that chub in that part of the river are not as common as they used to be. Is this correct? I know there are lots of big chub further up river.

D

David Marrs

Heyyup Tony,

Nice one, you wanna ask your mates to put the Zeds back and try a carp instead!

Rgds,
Davester

T

Tony Myatt

Dave M,
Unfortunatley or not, depending on your point of view, there are plenty of people who have no desire to see Zander in the Thames. There are a few who knock em on the head and eat them. As far as I know this contrivines no Thames area bylaws. It?s not something I do myself and I don?t condone it, I was mereley stating a fact that they don?t reckon much to the taste of them, that of course might be due to a lack of culinary prowess. You would be suprised at the number of people who eat fish out of the Lower Thames. I spoke to an old boy yesterday who was fishing for eels for the pot. He had also eaten an 11lb pike, perch and bream.
A couple of months ago I saw another bloke with a 12oz Chub that was going to be his dinner, he thought it was a Roach. Oh and incidentally these blokes are as English as you can get. Most of the Lower Thames Eskimos seem to be 60+ so we should be Ok in 15 years or so when they?ve passed away. I shall have to ask my Polish pal for a Carp recipe. Jeff good luck with your carp free river, hopefully it will be reasonably boat free too.

Regards Tony

D

David Marrs

Good god, I'd imagine a 12oz Chub or Roach would be about the most minging meal anyone could attempt Tony!!! When we were kids, an old Polish guy used to cook the fish regardless of species, he caught from an abandoned claypit, on the bank!! We used to call him the 'Rottentottygudgeonmuncher!'

No offence meant dude regarding Zander, interesting point tho', our Fen waters fish ace for all species nowadays, despite the introduction of 'Gods' fish!

Kind regards,
Dave M

S

Stu Black

Dave Slater, After the huge floods 3/4 years ago, which I think are the main reason for the jubilee river being suggested, it appeared that some huge bream shoals were brought together around the Marlow stretch, where they seem to have stayed. Big bags are more than possible now, not like when I lived there! Also from the occasional spying trip I take down that way, there's some big carp being caught too (but that's probably a secret), the only carp I ever saw was a 12lb from the jetty swim opposite the cardboard castle.