BOILIES FOR A NEW WATER.

D

Denis Goulding

Hi all,
Well our carp water has been revamped big time, we have done a lot of work over the last 5 months.Planting reeds making swims etc,etc.etc.Fish have just started to feed now, i have had a 15lber my p.b. 2 weeks ago and just did an all nighter last sunday-mon gone, i spodded out a bed of sweetcorn, the lake is not deep and i was fishing in 2-3ft of water beside a load of weed.I had lots of liners and lost 2 fish one at 1.30am and the other at 3am, one to a source bolie and the other to popped up corn both with method feeders attached..I was distraught as 1 run a session is the norm, then i strted getting liners big time from 7am till 9am, about 8.30am the two rods roared off.Unbelieveable, i had to pass one rod to a mate of mine as they seemed like to big fish.In the heel of the hunt, the two fish were landed one at 14lb 2ozs and the other 14lb 14ozs.Two belters, so i decide to stay on and fish.i had just one drop back at 9pm and i left at 10pm.Delighted to catch the two fish but mistified as to why i did not get more runs,even though i spodded out every two hours to top up the bed of corn.
Yesterday evryone that fished corn has had a fish or two. but only small ones to 5.5lb, although one fish 11lb 2ozs came on a source bolie..

Any ideas folks on what to do as there are lots of fish rolling showing and i even put two handfuls of corn under the rod tops that night to see if the fish would feed on it and they did, crashed around the swim for 10 minutes until all the bait was gone.

Would single baits be better in conjunction with pva bags, or would i persevere with methods and the baits i am using..

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Regards.
Denis

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Had the same problem years ago whilst Tench fishing on a clear water using Corn.

The answer was to take away the weight of the hook by gluing cork to it, nowadays the same thing can be achieved by using the plastic Corn.

Just been back through me photo book, year was 1988, I had 5 Tench in an afternoon and all weighed over 7Ib, biggest 8Ib 4Oz. I was fishing a local Trout water which was crystal clear. At first they were easy, all caught close in in 6 feet of water and I watched them pick up the bait. I fished a Quill set so that it lifted.

Amazingly, after catching a few, all the fish became a bit clued up and things wern't so easy, the fish seemed to be learning from the ones who had been caught.
It was also one this lake that I first witnessed a Tench blowing those lovely little cluster of bubbles, but this fish was a good 3 foot off the bottom, just sitting mid water (makes yer think that).

I tried all sorts to get over the problem, but the fish would hoover up the free corn and leave the hook bait. By adding Cork to the shank of the hook so that it was weightless, my catch rate improved again.

Ozz Buchan

Reaction score
Denis, try backleading, if you can pin as much of the line to the lake bed as possible the liners should be reduced and the fish won't spook.(In theory)!
Don't change something that youv'e now found is working, but try a tiny mesh pva bag on the cast with the hook bait, it gets the fish to home in onto the bait.
As the fish have responded to particles try and get some partiblend (pidgeon conditioner) and spod that out as well.
Just cover it partiblend with boiling water and leave for an hour and it's ready to go.
Congrats on the fish mate you worked long enough and hard enough for them.

D

Denis Goulding

Murray,
I have been using plastic corn on a hair with 3 normal pieces of corn, is that too much on a hair???.I have it popped about 3 inches off the deck, just aboe the stringy weed.
5 tench over 7 and an eight pounder, my god, tench that big are just not found over here.Theremght be a few 6's and close 7's , i have seen pictures that have made my mouth eater i haven't even beaten 5 yet and i have close on a hundred tench this year.Well done on the captures any photos' if u do can u mail them to me at denis.p.goulding@intel.com,Great idea withusing cork, must try that.
I have never seen tench blowing bubbles but on any calm evening in a local harbour, the water is filthy i might add u might get up to 8 different sets of bubbles, u said that the fish was 3 foot off bottom, did he feed and then rise up off the bottom to swallow the bait and then let out bubbles, it gets u thinking where the fish are when they start bubbling, thanks fo the advice and hopefully i will get back to u with results..

Ozz,
Will try the pva bag and backleading, pellet corn and hemp are the only particles allowed on the fishery, i don't know why but thats the way it is.Would u use other kinds of pellets. trout pellets are not allowed, what about hemp or csl pellets.They are quite dear to buy here but i have been told agricultural food stores might have csl pellets.and other baits i might be able to use.
Ozz what would you put in the pva bags, on a straight lead or in conjunction with a method feeder.
Ozz yes at last i am catching them, just a few but nice fish though i do appreciate all your help and its not just a victory for me but for you and the other lads that have helped me along on my learning curve in carp fishing..
All the best and i will talk to u soon.Remember any wants to know anything about trouting, fly's etc u can mail me..
Regards,
Denis.

D

Dave Rothery

3 grains of corn too big? look at the size of their mouths!

Ozz Buchan

Reaction score
Denis,
Liquidise the corn then, it keeps them routing about for ages.
Use a golf ball size pva bag of pellet and crumbled boilies, attached with the hook, and a piece of soluble rig foam around the hair to stop it tangling.
Try and get the marine halibut pellet then if trouties arn't allowed and give them a soak in salmon oil when youv'e made the pva bags up. ;)
Is groundbait allowed?

Ozz Buchan

Reaction score
Sorry mate, missed the lead bit, use a straight lead i.e. on the lead clips.

D

Denis Goulding

Dave,
Well 1 grain and a pop upm will that be ok.Their mouths to me look like they would swallow a golf ball.lol...What size hook would you use dave????

Ozz,
Nice one , soak them after i make the pva bag, agin what size hook would you prefer for this set up??>Straight leads about 3oz's be ok, what hook lenght and type would u use., probably going to a max range of 70 yards and spod over with liquidised corn???.Will get cracking on the making the rigs all nighter coming sat through sunday..

Thanks again for the advice boys.
Regards,
Denis

Ozz Buchan

Reaction score
Leads are fine, I find it easier to soak the bags after making them up, your hands don't get as much oil on them! also the pva takes on the oil as well giving added attraction around the hookbait as the pva dissolves, remember though that the pva will take longer to breakdown once covered/soaked in oil which can be a big help on deeper waters.
Match the hook to the size of bait not the pva bag. also remember that casting now becomes slightly harder because of the mesh bag on the hook. I'd stick to either an 8 or 6, with a hook length of about 6 inches to start with on a combi rig.
If the runs you got/are getting came from the spodded area I would start with a resonably big bed of bait spodded out, say 2kg of hemp with 3 tins of corn and then half a kg of pellet and 2 to 3 tins of liquidised corn, topping off after each fish with about 5 spods of mixed hemp and pellet only adding more corn if the runs slow up considerably.
GO GET M8!!!

D

Dave Rothery

Leads are fine, I find it easier to soak the bags after making them up, your hands don't get as much oil on them! also the pva takes on the oil as well giving added attraction around the hookbait as the pva dissolves, remember though that the pva will take longer to breakdown once covered/soaked in oil which can be a big help on deeper waters.
Match the hook to the size of bait not the pva bag. also remember that casting now becomes slightly harder because of the mesh bag on the hook. I'd stick to either an 8 or 6, with a hook length of about 6 inches to start with on a combi rig.
If the runs you got/are getting came from the spodded area I would start with a resonably big bed of bait spodded out, say 2kg of hemp with 3 tins of corn and then half a kg of pellet and 2 to 3 tins of liquidised corn, topping off after each fish with about 5 spods of mixed hemp and pellet only adding more corn if the runs slow up considerably.
GO GET MORE SOURCE!!!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Leads iz wicked, I chek hit easia to soak da bags afta makin dem up, ya hands don't get as much oil on dem!

Also da pva takes on da oil as well givin added attracshun around da hookbait as da pva dissolves, rememba though dat da pva iz gonna take longa to breakdown once covered/soaked in oil which can be da massiv help on deepa waters.

Match da heezie to da size hof bait not da pva bag. also rememba dat castin now becomes slightly harda coz hof da mesh bag on da heezie. I'd stik to eitha an 8 or 6, wiv da heezie length hof about 6 inches to start wiv on da combi rig.

If da runs yous got/are gettin' came from da spodded area I would start wiv da resonably massiv bed hof bait spodded hout, say 2kg hof hemp wiv 3 tins hof corn an' thun half da kg hof pellet an' 2 to 3 tins hof liquidised corn, toppin off afta each fish wiv about 5 spods hof mixed hemp an' pellet only addin more corn if da runs slow up considerably. Go get da source!!!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Denis, if you're getting loads of liners then you've got two choices my friend. 1) put back leads on to avoid liners or 2) be smart and keep pulling your baits back toward you until you pick them up. It culd be the the bigger fish are patroling back from the main pile of bait.

You might also want to consider getting rid of the method on one rod. The method works superb for me especially when I'm embarassing roto, cakey and wol and picking p fish when they don't however it could be giving you all sorts of signals. Either lengthen or shorten the tail of your method until you are hitting them or change methods as the smaller fish could be attacking the cage of bait and frustrating you via line bites.

Ozz Buchan

Reaction score
its lee again, the liners might becoming from the spod spill, try putting one rod on the spodded area and the other over the spod spill, try just corn on your hook none of the plastic stuff. have you tried stalking them from the margines rather than casting 60-70 yards and sitting there. have you tried pellet on your hook if your spodding pellet theres no reason why it wont work. To be honest i dont think its your bait i think it will be location but if your gettin liners i would try fishing one on the spod spill.
good luck any way m8 and let us no how you go on.

D

Dave Rothery

got boring on here wiv only wol and cakey to talk to. welcome back stu!