What fish do you struggle with

richiekelly

Reaction score
do you find that you have certain species of fish that no matter how hard you try you have no or very little success, with me it is zander,i fish a water with plenty of them in some good fish up to around 15lbs but i dont seem to be able to get to grips with them, other species that i fish for dont give me this trouble and i have had success to some degree with them, this thing with zander has been going on for years and sometimes does my head in even with small pack fish others will get runs and you can almost see them moving down the bank with anglers getting runs in turn but although i am doing the same thing as others i get no runs its become a joke on the water perhaps i should accept it and give up on zander fishing (i have had 1 double on a half mackeral when piking a total fluke )

Morespiders

Reaction score
Get further down the line of anglers, a pattern should emerge as to which way they go from left to right, , your maybe fishing outside there start point.
I used to fish a pike water where they went from right to left along the northern bank.
Tatton Park

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Always been bream with me,especially on flowing water.I don`t have a problem with feed or bait or accuracy of casting,it`s always striking too soon/not letting the bite develop.
Perhaps some sort of experimenting with hooklengths might be of some use to me as well??? Perhaps i should sit on my hands a bit more???
I remember a club match on the nene i won a few years ago,when i won it with 15lbs or so of bream,i must have lost 3x that much through missed bites !!!

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Barbel.

I used to be able to catch barbel from a damp sponge but in recent years that knack has completely deserted me.I'm not fishing prolific barbel rivers but even so I am doing extraordinarily averagely.Just about everything else I can catch if I set my mind to it but my barbel fishing is well and truly in the doldrums.

With me its more likely to be certain waters. I trout fish and there was one water I just could not ever get to grips with.I'm delighted to say its now closed so I dont have that problem anymore.

And big roach...but who doesn't ?

Specihunter

Reaction score
Tench for me too. But I'm determined this year to put it right.
That will be easy on the club lake you have joined.

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

Always been bream with me,especially on flowing water.I don`t have a problem with feed or bait or accuracy of casting,it`s always striking too soon/not letting the bite develop.
Perhaps some sort of experimenting with hooklengths might be of some use to me as well??? Perhaps i should sit on my hands a bit more???
I remember a club match on the nene i won a few years ago,when i won it with 15lbs or so of bream,i must have lost 3x that much through missed bites !!!

Nick come on the cherwell , I know some good spots .

Mine are barbel and a 20lb carp from my club lake (same one Mark)

tortoise100

Reaction score
Barbel.... never caught one after a lot of atempts and I am pretty sure three hook ups that got away :mad:

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Tench for me too...... I don't wanna catch 'em an' they don't want to be caught by me :(:)

jcp01

Reaction score
I have a strange relationship with carp.

I cannot seem to land any that I hook at the moment; I think it is now four or five on the trot that I have connected with inadvertently whilst fishing for other species all of which have got off, one way or the other.

It used to be very different. There was a time when I couldn't stop catching carp. That was when I lived in Essex and never fished rivers, then I came up to the the Midlands and wanted to catch anything but carp so I bought myself an avon rod and a centrepin and went to the Warks Avon after chub.

Guess what my first fish was...?

A carp of course...

Guess what my second sizeable fish was...?

Yep, carp...!

...and the third too!

I thought that the river was full of the blighters, then for some unfathomable reason the supply dried up and I have not hooked another river carp since.

Fishing is strange like that , I find.

dch1

Reaction score
From Xmas untill the close of the season on the Great Ouse all of them gave me a problem:confused:. I went for a morning session most weekends and couldn't even get a bite. I'm hoping some commercials in the close season can get my confidence back!!

Skoda

Reaction score
It’s got to be Tench for me. Every year I promise myself I’ll concentrate on Tench but I seldom give them the time they deserve. Every now and then an odd one turns up when I least expect it, which is great.

Andy