Okuma Reels

P

Phil Hackett

Recently I bought two Okuma Interceptor IBF 40 reels (baitrunner type) for chub and barbel fishing, on the strength of two other larger Okuma baitrunners reels I’d bought last season for bream and tench fishing.
These reels are the midsize of the range this company makes and have a spool diameter of 400 millimetres, holding 180 yds. of 10lbs line. They have 3 bearings in their construction, come with a double handle and two spools, one polished aluminium, the other black carbon. The finish is metallic smoky silver and gives the appearance of a reel of far greater cost than they actually are at ?29 99.

Under real conditions (playing fish) they perform as good as any reel I’ve ever handled. The clutch is excellent and slips with effortless ease at the tension I’ve set it. No jerkiness, no snagging, just slipping away as the fish pulls against it. The line lay on the spool is good and the roller on the bailarm, whilst large, is not overly large and actually rolls quite freely, even though it has no bearings in it, using instead a bush system.

Its hard to say anything bad about these reels in the 4 months I’ve had them and even if after two seasons they wear out, at ?29 99 each they are not at a price that will break the bank to replace are they?

So if you’re looking for a baitrunner type reel of good quality, for short to medium work, at very reasonable price, I’d seriously look at these reels first.
For longer distance work have a look at the larger sizes 50, 60 range. I use the Okuma Renegade 50s for bream and tench at distances of 90 yds. And have done for the last two seasons with no ill effects to the reels or fish.

B

Bill Cox

I have used Okuma reels for 3 yrs and i would not use anything else.I have 5 baitrunners including the epix 50 and i have always found them smooth and balanced, line lay is excellent everytime,in short they are top notch.With other reels you are just paying extra for the brand name and not really getting anything you would,nt get from okuma.I have caught numerous fish to over 20lb and never had a problem 10 out of 10.

M

Mark Williams

I bought an Okuma Airframe composite trout reel and a stack of spare spools. It's just the job - a lightweight, large-arbor reel wih a good brake, and spools that don't break the bank. I fly-fish in the sea quite a lot, and this reel couldn't be better for it, being fibre-reinforced plastic and stainless steel.

A Wayne

Reaction score
Glad to hear it. I've just bought an Okuma IBF50 and can only say the same. After all these fancy reels at over ?100 don't catch you more fish.

M

michael rouse

What made you try an okuma over an aero re for same price range.

P

Phil Hackett

Michel
What made me try Okuma was that I like to try new products practically reels that come onto the market. I’m a reel tart in that sense! Until I bought the first pair of Okumas I did not own a pair of bait runners. Having always used rear drag reels for my breaming and on principle would not buy Shimanos because I think they are overpriced, and still do. Rip off Britain and all that!
What cast the die for me was about 10 years ago, when I was fishing next to a bloke and his son piking. This guy had 6 rods with the top of the range (at the time) shimanos on all of them. I suggested he had some money invested on his rods and he said not really. As he went to the States on work business every six weeks, and he bought them there. The price over here at the time for those reels was just over ?70 and he’d paid just over ?40 each for them.

My thoughts were, someone’s being fleeced! His words were we’re being ripped off over here and there’s no way I’d pay the price for them here!

Shimanos are very good reels indeed, but in my view as I say, overpriced!

On the strength of the first two I bought, I bought the smaller second pair for river work and short-range general ledger/feeder fishing.

Last week I went into Trafford Angling and they had the Okuma Metalode range in. The smallest of them, the Metalode 30 really took me as a small float fishing real. And as I’m due to buy a new float fishing real in the near future, I will be purchasing one of those in the next few weeks based on what I’ve experience with the four baitrunner reels I’ve got.
I therefore don’t think I’ll be disappointed in the purchase at all.

A Wayne

Reaction score
Well said Phil.

Shimano are seriously overpriced, and being a kid I just scroll down the prices and the Okuma's seem the best out there. Perhaps not if u could spend as much as you needed but I've used this reference before. If u've bought 3 Shimano Baitrunners and u Bivvy Up overnight and they get nicked you will be considerably more annoyed than those of us with the sense not to waste all our money on expensive gear.

R

Richard Haggath

i have a shimano 6010 gt an okuma longbow lb40 and an okuma dynadrag and for normal fishing on typical coarse fisheries i would happily use any one of them but if i was to fish a big fish venue i would use the shimano i really think the quality shines through i don't doubt that my longbow would drag in a 30 lber but how many times would it do it. don't get me wrong i love my okumas great reels and an even better price but in the case of reels quality will always show through.

Lewis Duffy

Reaction score
In my opinion the shimano's are good value for money cos in my experience had three okuma reels and they have all let me down in some way but the shimano's on the other hand will last for a long time and i prefer using these to okuma's.

N

Nick King 2

are the mitchell baitrunners that mullarkeys advertise for ?19.99 any good????

D

Deecy

Not just Shimano, Daiwa Lagunas here ?70 (with a bit of discount) in USA $68 = ?38.
Anyone in the industry care to tell us why.

A Wayne

Reaction score
Nick no they're awfull. I bought one from Mullarkeys and after about 5weeks it started clicking and running badly.

J

jason fisher

just a quickie on okuma service

standing in the fishing shop today the okuma delivery guy came in, the tackle shop owner said to him that someone had returned one of their reels which had a problem.
the rep said no problem replace where's the reel, he went out got a new one to replace the defective one no quibbles and took the defective one away.
now that's what i call brilliant service.
and if okuma retain that level of service then i'd recommend em to anyone.

C

Chippy

I've used Shimanos for nearly 15 years for all my fishing and only ever had one baitrunner fail on me. Sent it to their servicing centre and it was repaired and returned very promptly and with minimal costs. On the flip side my mate uses Okuma reels for barbel fishing and he is very impressed. The most important thing is that you have confidence in your tackle!

M

michael rouse

Shimano's can be serviced aswell.A Wayne,you are right.They dont catch you more fish but they probably land you more fish being better quility than Okumas.

M

michael rouse

One of my Okuma sea fishing reels is dreadful.The match version of the interceptor baitfeeder is also terrible.The only good Okuma reel iv seen in action is the intercepter bait feeder.

Del Boy

Reaction score
I have 4 Shimano's which I think everyone agrees are a great reel. I also have an Okuma ep30 reel which for the money are a top range product, as some others have said it has great line lay, excellent smooth clutch and they look great with their silver grey finish - well they do when they are new!

There for me is the weakness, I have had my Okuma for one season and on one of my first outings boat fishing I knocked the rod over causing the reel to catch the wooden seat as it dropped into the bottom of the boat(only about a 12inch drop) and it removed my nice shiny paint right down to the undercoat (I was not a happy angler)!!

On the other hand the Shimano finish may not look anything special but it can take all the knocks and scrapes you tend to get and still look good and work well for years.
Don't get me wrong I think the Okumas are great value for money but if you are looking for a reel to last a lifetime and still work and look good there is only one choice and that is the Shimano.

Del Boy.

Del Boy

Reaction score
I have 4 Shimano's which I think everyone agrees are a great reel. I also have an Okuma ep30 reel which for the money are a top range product, as some others have said it has great line lay, excellent smooth clutch and they look great with their silver grey finish - well they do when they are new!

There for me is the weakness, I have had my Okuma for one season and on one of my first outings boat fishing I knocked the rod over causing the reel to catch the wooden seat as it dropped into the bottom of the boat(only about a 12inch drop) and it removed my nice shiny paint right down to the undercoat (I was not a happy angler)!!

On the other hand the Shimano finish may not look anything special but it can take all the knocks and scrapes you tend to get and still look good and work well for years.
Don't get me wrong I think the Okumas are great value for money but if you are looking for a reel to last a lifetime and still work and look good there is only one choice and that is the Shimano.

Del Boy.

W

Wayne Jason

I've had my okuma dynadrags for over a year now and have had no faults with them at all!!
They have smooth clutch, with no 'jerkyness', the reel is quite smooth when reeling in.
In my opinion, they are brilliant reels, especially at the 20 pound each i paid for mine, they have the quality of a reel of say a shimano reel at 80 pounds!!
They have been beaten and bashed around on the bank and still they perform just as good as when i first bought them!

Pete Austin 3

Reaction score
the old shimano baitrunners from the early to mid 90s were excellent,but the late 90s to present day,in my view are crap,my mate bought 3 of the twin handled baitrunners and stripped the gears on two of them when pike fishing in scotland,sent em back for repair and they came back making clonking noises.i bought two of the origional black okumas(coronadas,now called longbow)in the small size for tench fishing with heavy feeders,after two years of use theyre still bullet proof and i have had tench to 8lbs on them.i also own an epix baitrunner,epix eb 40 which have had a winters abuse pike fishing(about 100days)and they are still working fine.as for the interceptors,ive got a 30 size for ultralite luring and a 40 size for medium crankbaits,thus far theyve been fine,for jerkbaiting i`ll only use abu multipliers.also,the interceptors have a 5yr guarantee