Float fishing for tench

• Thread starter Ron (Rontroversial) Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

As one who also prefers float fishing for tench, whenever it is possible, I concur with you that match type tackle is not really suitable for these hard fighting fish. The rod I have been using for much of my tench fishing in recent years is a Drennan 13 1/2 foot Long Distance Float Rod, which unfortunately is not made any more.

Although it says reeel lines from 2 to 4 lb on the rod, I regularly use 6lb line and 5 lb hooklengths with no problem whatsoever. This rod has a lovely through action, which I fell in love with when I felt the rod in a local tackle shop some years ago. I am using it for virtually all my tench and bream float fishing and it has landed carp (by accident) to 22lbs and chub to 6lbs without too much trouble.

However, I feel at times that I need something a little more powerful. I have handled a Drennan Tench Float rod rod which seems very nice, but for float fishing I feel a rod a foot longer would be better.

I do much of my tench fishing in the Cambridgshire fens where you often have to drag a 5 lb male out of the lilies.

Because of this I feel that there is a gap in the market for a float fishing rod with some power and a through action to it.

For this reason I am going to start a new thread....

R

Richard Drayson

Is there a gap in the market Ron? How long is the Drennan Tench Float rod?
I've used my old Daiwa Powermesh 12' for tench float fishing without any problems.
Plenty of power without being overgunned and bends right round to the butt producing a graceful curve.

Perhaps you're looking at long-range float fishing where a longer rod would give a faster line pick-up?
Hmmm, methinks a FM power float might follow the FM concept.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

The Drennan Tench float is 12 feet 9 inches. I feel it should be a foot longer.

Look out for the thread on a power float rod.