why use different rods ?

W

Wendy Perry

This question has always been on my mind i obviously know that there are different rods to catch different fish but why?..... Why doesn't someone come up with an idea of making a rod for all kinds of species.
Since i have been fishing (18 months) i have used only two different types of rods and caught so many different species and sizes on them, and never had any problems with them so why buy loads of rods i can't understand it . How many different rods do you lot use ?

D

Dave Johnson

horses for courses wwendy, try trotting with a carp rod, or winter chubbing with Power waggler...

they will do it, but not as effectively as the rod matched to the species/conditions/method.

How many rods have you tried.....;o)

D

Dave Johnson

my Diawa Avon does the majority of my barbel fishing-but I would prefer a heavier Harrison for Winter flood /Severn fishing.
My two light Avons sort out most of my tip chubbing, my Waggler is great for punching out a big waggler on the Trent-local carp/bagging waters and my fly rods just get abused by whatever/whenever....

a good tip for you is to handle as many rods as you can, try them in various positions, test them out thoroughly....only you will know what 'feels right'....;o)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wendy,
I would agree with Dave, "horses for courses," sums it up very well.

It is, of course possible to catch a lot of different species with one or two rods, however, how much fun would it be playing a decent Roach on a Carp Rod with 10lb. line?

Over the years I have collected an enormous number of different rods for different species, venues and methods.

Okay, I'll own up to being a terrible "tackle tart" but there is something indefinable about having the right rod for the job at hand.

These days I use a 13' Carbotech Feeder and a 13' Carbotech Float Rod for Barbel fishing.

I have a pair of Bob James Avons for most of my Roach and Chub fishing, but usually use these for leger/light feeder wotk.
I have several stick float type rods from 13' to 20' for trotting on the Avon.

For Waggler fishing I have 3 Drennan Waggler Rods and a Drennan Long Range Match Rod - these from my match fishing days when to save time in a match I would regularly set-up 3 or 4 rods all the same.

For Tench fishing I have a Drennan Float Rod and a pair of Century Feeder Rods which are an absolute dream to use.
I also use Century rods (3) for Carp fishing, but they rarely see the light of day these days.
Somewhere in my tackle room I also have a pair of Nash Pursuit Horizons at 13' 3lb. t/c.
(note i have to tidy that room up before Ron comes to stay as he is sleeping in that room)

Although having admitted to being an incurable tackle tart, even I won't go into the number of poles and whips that I have bought and used over the years.

Come to think of it, I had better do a full inventory if for nothing else than to update my insurance :-o)

W

Wendy Perry

wow peter you have a lot there .

I think i better invest in a few more for my different kind of fishing :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wendy,
As I said, being an ex-matchman I have rather gone OTT with some of my rods, poles and whips.
I did most of my match fishing in Scandinavia and Europe where you really have to be prepared for every eventuality. I used to carry whips in 0.5m intervals from 1.5 to 4.5m.
During the first day of the Norwegian Nationals 1994 (2 day match) the River was really out of sorts, with some rumours of pollution upstream of the match stretch.

Eighty odd anglers all blanking with about 10 minutes to go, I set up a 2m whip, with a size 24's hook baited with the smallest pinkie I could find. Caught 12 very small bleak for about 2 ozs.
Won me the section, but on the second day things were very different, fish everywhere and I had a 4th section place for 3rd. overall. Had I not had the short whips I'd have come a lot lower overall.

Of all the rods in my colelction my favourite has to be my Barder "Merlin" (Split Cane)similar to the one Chris Yates used in the Passion for Angling videos.
Unfortunately, it is second hand as the 900 pounds and a year wait for a new one is rather prohibitive.

W

Wolfman Woody

Wendy, "horses for coarses" does sum it up, but you have a long way to go before you get there. I said many years ago that two rods could cover 90% of all the fishing anyone was likely to do. A really good float rod of 13-14 foot and one of the new bread of specimen rods, typically the John Wilson barbel/quiver rod with two interchangeable tops - one for feeder fishing and the other can catch carp up to 20 lbs. By the time you have learned how to use them successfully you'll have saved a few more quid to add some more.

B

Budgie Burgess

I think the replies given here have been very balanced.My spliced tip 14'match rod is great for hitting bites on a stick float but crap at casting out 5ozs of lead and a 1lb carp live bait.This my 4lb TC Cat rods do great but not much cop at casting a AFTM 6 fly line!On the other hand just because my 1 1/2lb Barbell rods dont have Tench or Bream wrote on them doesnt stop them from being great for them! Yes horses for courses but dont swallow the trades blurb!

W

Wendy Perry

i have a feeder rod and a float rod and i've caught lots of sizes of fish on them both .

I also have a carp rod that i have used only once, i can't hold it like i can my other rods the butt is really long and my reel is a long way from the end of it. I think you have to feel confident whatever your using and i don't with that particular rod.

W

Wolfman Woody

You're right Budgie, I don't like rods with names of specific species of fish or even MATCH rods, but we have to put up with them. Even worse are poles with names like "Jurassic Carp" or "Carp Slayer", what are they thinking of?

It is nice to have a selection of rods to suit different methods and sizes of fish, but do we need them?

Max Miller, the old Music Hall comedian, used to play golf at some top-nobs course, but he never took a full set ona buggy etc. All he had was a no.7 iron and two balls (golf balls, lads!) With these he would challenge anyone to a round for ?50, a lot of money in those days. From the story I heard, he never lost a bet.

If you could only own just ONE rod, which would it be?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If I were to be restricted to just one rod then it would have to be my Carbotech No. 3 Float Rod.
The tip is sensitive enough to register bites on the lead or feeder and at 13' is manages most float situations.

Although, the Bob James Avon Rod would be a close second, but would that be cheating becasue it has two top sections?

G

Gary Knowles

Only a woman angler would ask why do we need all these rods.........Wendy - you sound just like my wife, she asks me the same question time after time.

My answer is usually "why do you need so many shoes?"...that normally shuts her up !!!!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Wendy, with the two rods you already have all you need add to those is a two piece 'thru' action 1 1/2lb T.C. Avon type rod and they will see through most of the fishing you are likely to do.

C

Chris Bishop

Suddenly realised how many I've got kicking around the house reading his and decided to sell a few to make a bit more room in my bedroom.

W

Wendy Perry

Gary i'd have lots of rods if i thought i was gonna use most of them ;p

D

Dave Slater

Wendy,
I am sure you will build up a collection of different rods over the years. You will probably find that you use the same few rods for 90% of your fishing, probably the ones you have now, but occasions will arise when situations will dictate something different being used.

G

Gary Knowles

Seriously Wendy, the more you get into your fishing the more rods you will own.

1)because you begin to search for rods for a specific function. i.e. quivertipping for chub on a big river with flake or paste. This will be a totally different rod to quivertipping for barbel on a big river or quivertipping for chub on a small river, etc.

2)a true angler can never bear to part with an old rod !!!!!!!!!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Ron,

Back to Peter's earlier post - i've seen his tackle room & hes certainly got some clearing out to do!!

W

Wolfman Woody

Gary's right, you can never part with an old rod, especially when its a good one. Same goes for reels, I have my old Cardinal 54 with a silent anti-reverse bought for ?14 in 1982. One of the local matchmen offered me ?45 for it in 2000 as they're so good for feeder fishing, but I still have it. I did sell an old Abu 505 (from 1968) once and as I posted I felt sick.
Best advice Wendy, keep an open mind and a tight wallet (or purse in your case). Get them for Christmas and birthday presents.
You know, my wife spend ?70 every month on a thatching job on her head and played hell with me last month for buying a new landing net. I mean.. Phhh!!