What Price fishing?

I

IAN HOBKIRK

On the trent the outher i was talking to two anglers who had to look at stretch i fishing,the subject got onto how much etc.

I told them it was ?45 to join for the year,?15 to join ?30 for the permit to fish the waters day or night.

The reply i got was,
not paying that,not get my monies worth out of it,ill not come all that often.

How can you define what your monies worth going to be?

Good parking,lockgates,a once in a lifetimes fish?
Company,or solitude,what?

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

Unfortunately anglers, over the years have become used to paying next to nowt for their fishing. They will cheerfully spend 10 quid a night in the boozer on beer, but bitch and moan about spending say ?5.00 or ?50 a year for a season ticket.

They should try playing golf.

In the future we are going to have to pay more for our fishing. I would pay ?100 a year willingly, and have done so in the past for some good fishing.

And I'm not a wealthy man.

F

Fred Bonney

Ian,we've had this discussion before on this site,I think.But, how the hell anybody can say they will not get their monies worth for ?45 a year,defies belief,IMHO.
Especially with the facilities your talking about.
Taking into account it's a river and closed 3 months of the year and say even if you fish from September to March,and go only twice a month,just over ?3 a session,peanuts!
Monies worth is relative I suppose.I spoke to a guy also on the Trent and he asked for ownership details, I told him,he said I used to pay ?13 a year to fish the stretch when it was Sheffield's,and with lots of other waters.
No wonder clubs are suffering and have to give up waters,if members are not prepared to pay a reasonable annual sum.
How many will go to a carp puddle for a tenner a time?
It's all to do with the guarantee to catch I suppose.
Not my idea of fishing, I'm afraid.

I

IAN HOBKIRK

Not mine either fred,
For me its just being there on my own or with good company and with nature.if i catch a fish its a bonus not a nessity.

L

Les Clark

Ron,?10 a night in a boozer down south may get you 3pint`s if your lucky,not worth going out for!
Plus ?100 membership wouldn`t get you a lot,you bloke`s up north must have it sweet!

I

IAN HOBKIRK

Come up here Les you can get 4 pints and a packet of crisps.

D

Dave Rothery

yeah, but it always rains, the airs polluted, you haven't invented the wheel yet, all the streets are on steep hills, ron lives there..........

L

Les Clark

Yeah,Ron lives there,But there again a packet of crisp`s,em.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

In my local I can get 5 pints and a packets of crisps for a tenner.

Smiths Magnet for ?1.90.

Not only that I can get a full roast beef Yorkshires and 4 veg for ?2.95.

Can you beat that in London?

Not only that ?30k a year is worth ?30k a year...... :eek:)

F

Fred Bonney

I know I shouldn't do this,but to make my fellow suvners envious,in the town of Horncastle,too far away for me to drink and drive,I had a pint of Barnsley bitter.....?1.40 and it wasn't a bad drop of beer either.

R

Ron (Rontroversial) Clay

And by the way Les, I love the rain. That's why we have got such good river fishing.

The north has changed tremendously since when I was a lad. We don't live on slag heaps in holes in the ground any more. The slag heaps have all gone and been grassed over. The pits and the steel works have all gone too.

Rotherham is becoming a bit of a yuppie place if you ask me.

They recently bulldozed Dalton one of Rotherham's last eyesores and sent the asylum seekers living in it down to London. They are now building up-market houses on it.

All they have to do now is bulldoze Canklow.

L

Les Clark

Ron,I allso like a bit of rain,but what`s that got to do with anything ron?
Whitstable,has become a yuppie town,and it`s not good,the house prices have shot up,the local`s are out priced by super rich tosser`s from London,who sod off when it get`s cold,a beach hut in whitstable was sold to saachi and saachi for ?70000,a blooby beach hut,which may get used once.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

as soon as they build the up-market houses the council will take them over and re- house the asylum seekers they sent to London in them

A Wayne

Reaction score
Most millionares per square mile where I live, thats in Prestbury/Wilmslow area, any ideas? Constitutes the Beckham residents. One thing I've noticed down South is a 99 Flake doesn't cost 99p.

D

Dave Slater

Ron,
You will notice the differences in prices in September, particularly the fishing. I am a member of clubs outside my local area and they usually cost about 25% as much as my local clubs. Everything else is also more expensive, but not as much so in proportion. When you are here it will be outside the holiday season so the prices of things, food and beer etc., will be lower than in the summer.