For the first time this year

A

Andy Davis

Went to Frimley yesterday
Landed a 17'6 common, lost another fish and had a hooklink break when a 3rd fish headed for some pads, an excellent day all in all, expect hooklength questions shortly :)

A

Andy Davis

Ta Stuart

OK when carp fishing I generally use a mainline between 8lb & 15lb and the hook length is generally the same, but is either the same strengh or lower than the main line. It was surgested to me to use 25lb stuff on saturday, combined with the 15lb line, why ?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Andy,
firstly nice result on the fish,
a lot of anglers arer using higher B/S line or braid for hooklengths for a couple of reasons. It goes against everything I have done when fishing for other species but for specimen sized fish I can understand it now, the rigs used are fished with a 'stiff' section and the thick line gives it this and the line/braids can also be hinged for pop ups, another reason can be for abraision resitance.

A

Andy Davis

Rodney, thanks for the nice remark! to my knowledge only one other fish was caught that day, and for the recordI caught the fish on a single 12mm boilie, fished on the bottom.

When I arrived at the lake-RMC Frimley pit 3 (later than intended) I planned on having a walk around as per normal, stopped at the first swim and there was some much activity in this bay I stopped there, roach were swarming around, I could see several bigger fish moving about, so I started by spray a load of maggots, the roach went mad and several big fish swirled at the surface after the maggots, so thats where I stayed.

As for the hooklink it was a simple length of merlin

R

Rodney Wrestt

Andy,
I've seen that type of swim occasionally with what looks like every fish in the water in the one bay area. I tend to use the same approach as you by feeding them up for a while, trying hard not to just cast too early. Bet you wish you had some bread of floaters when you saw them all around the surface. I wanna go fishing just picturing it :eek:).

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Was it a sea angler who suggested you use 25lb line? In my opinion I would tell whoever suggested you use 25lb to either go boil their head or ask him where he is going wrong with his ability to play fish!

I've just done an article for Graham on line and there's an interesting bit on about breaking strain against casting and playing ability. Stick to what you've got Andy unless you are gonna start chasing cats that is.

Even in France I use 12lb breaking strain and 15lb max hooklengths and even thats because I'm not famailar with the bottom (possible snags). Hope that helps mate!

D

Dave Rothery

is 15lb mono stiff enough? (if thats your thang?). i use 25lb boom BUT 15lb (or 12lb supernova) end connection (esp stiff)

A

Andy Davis

Stuart, so its ok to have a hooklength strong than the mainline ? it just goes against every think I was told about coarse fishing

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Think about this Andy, if the give (stretch) in a line is over distance (your mainline), how much give would you get out of a short hooklength? Always beef up your hooklength over your mainline as it's not got as much shock absorb? Does that make sense?

A

Andy Davis

Ta chaps, guess I will be spending some more at the local tackle shop !!

A

Andy Davis

Rodney, with out giving away a plan of attack I am hatching, I could not find an item of tackle to take with me, so did without, I do think I would have done better with the missing item :)